My modded Les Paul LPJ

breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10274
edited October 2018 in Guitar
Some of you may have seen my recent post about my latest birthday present from my wife and I thought I might share some photos.
Here she is how she came
And here she is after a few light mods including new plastics and knobs,new machine heads and truss rod cover and removal of the horrible plastic pickup covers (very easy mod,just need a couple of new base plates).Loving this guitar and the build quality as much as I can see is excellent No worries about QC here.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fantastic improvement, looks great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A great result. :)
  • Much better.
  • Great improvement!

I'm still not convinced by the headstock on them though - is it just me, or is the shape slightly tweaked? I'm not sure if it's just an illusion due to the lack of the LP script maybe?
  • The logo looks huge. Is that a feature of the model?
  • Very nice sir and I love that surf green strat. Thats proper awesome
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10274
    Yeah guitargeek62 I noticed that the other day.Google imaged a Les Paul headstock and the LPJ's horns,if that's what you can call them definitely seem a touch longer and more pronounced than normal.I'll not loose any sleep over it though.The actual Gibson logo bugs me more.Looks a bit cheap as though it had just been stamped on with gold paint.Just another way of keeping costs down I supose.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    The logo is oversized, yes - and it's not centred which makes it look worse - presumably if they'd centred one that size the D machinehead collar would have touched part of it and looked odd.

Can't they get *anything* right?

The improvement to the overall appearance with changes that would have cost Gibson next to nothing to do at the factory is staggering. It's gone from looking like a very cheap knockoff to a proper Les Paul.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Lovely!
  • Looks like a different guitar!
  • Amazing contrast.  Hated the look of the original, love the look of the remodel.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.