Composition Challenge #11 - Freedom

What's Hot
Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
edited November 2015 in Making Music
Hail Sultans of Swing! Time for round 11 of the Fretboard Challenge competition!

The competition:

Every 2 months there will be a competition, it revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing or covering songs based on a set of rules or guidelines laid out for that particular competition.

For full rules please read here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/8029/fretboard-challenge-rules#latest

Submission Details

All recordings will need to be sent via email to fretboardchallenge AT gmail.com

All songs will then be upload to the Fretboard Challenge SoundCloud page here - https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard

Songs must be submitted in an MP3 format and you need to provide a picture for your track

FRETBOARD CHALLENGE #11

Fretboard Challenge #11 starts NOW! - Submission deadline -  Midnight 15th November 2015

Voting starts 17th November 2015 - Voting ends 11.30pm 30th November 2015

A new voting system will be in place for this challenge, voters can pick their top 3 favourite entries.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

Entry with the most points wins.

Winner will be announced just before midnight 30th November 2015

Guidelines

Freedom! - Record whatever track you like!

No time limit!

Deadline

Midnight (UK time) 15th November 2015.

Prizes

The prize for this competition will be a brand new

Electro Harmonix - WORM Pedal

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Excellent task .... my mate @steamabacus will win this .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    No time limit, Hmmm, I'm thinking double gatefold sleeve, perhaps a small booklet explaining the concept and DVD detailing the making of said masterpiece.

Or more probably, another hastily recorded ropey blues of some description :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yaaaaaaasss. I am in. I need to do some demo'ing up anyways so this will be perfect.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Hmmmm - I'm not quite sure what to do with all that freedom? Maybe an extended prog-rock cover of John Cage's 4'33"?

:-??
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Gah! I just don't know what to do with this prompt!

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Hmmmm - I'm not quite sure what to do with all that freedom? Maybe an extended prog-rock cover of John Cage's 4'33"?

:-??
    I think the middle 8 section is begging to be done on basoon.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    edited September 2015
    I've decided that "Four hours, thirty-three minutes" is just too much prog for even me to handle. I do like the idea of bassoon, though - there just wasn't enough of Lindsay Cooper on 'Fish Rising'.  ;)

My mate's dad was a professional bassoonist. Apparently, the lowpoint of his career was having to 'slum it' on recording sessions with 60s 'pop' combos - having to play 'comedy bassoon parts' for these upstart young hooligans who nobody would ever remember (and, thankfully from his point of view, nobody who mattered would hear). They had such silly names as well. 'The Beatles' I think one of them was called.  :)

I have a plan, although I wouldn't go as far as to call it an idea yet. I think I might take a riff I came up with for the Riff of the Month and try to fashion a fully fledged arrangement out of it.

Or I may have proper idea?
  • I've started already for this one. I'm beating the riffs from a jam with the band into a song. Hopefully should have vocals and everything for this one.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • kin said:
    No time limit, Hmmm, I'm thinking double gatefold sleeve, perhaps a small booklet explaining the concept and DVD detailing the making of said masterpiece.

Or more probably, another hastily recorded ropey blues of some description :)
    5 points @kin.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a good idea for this.  I think I might enter.
  • Anyone started recording?  I've started my midi drum programming tonight.  
  • Yep I have indeed
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Hmmmmm. My computer has started misbehaving - something to do with the midi implementation I think. And I can't think of anything I've done to it since it was last working properly

I've reinstalled Cubase, Addictive Drums and the drivers for my Focusrite interface and it's still not right. It's things like this that really put me off using computers.
    :(

I might resort to acoustic guitar and wax cylinder for this one.
  • I'm going to cover Max Richter's Sleep. 
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 735
    This is my entry. I hope it's according with the rules. The track may be downloaded from soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/fnpt/thegreathoax1
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I might enter my Greek themed song that I didn't get to finish last time :)

Only kidding, I can't wait to unleash my taste in music upon you all.

(that's code for "I'll probably just copy an existing song as usual and pass it off as my own by singing it badly) :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @fnpt

email entries to Sheldon via the Fretboard (see quote from original post in this thread)

All recordings will need to be sent via email to fretboardchallenge AT gmail.com

All songs will then be upload to the Fretboard Challenge SoundCloud page here - https://soundcloud.com/fretboard-challenge

Songs must be submitted in an MP3 format and you need to provide a picture for your track

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    fnpt said:
    This is my entry. I hope it's according with the rules. The track may be downloaded from soundcloud.

@fnpt .. impressive .. I like that.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    edited October 2015
    fnpt said:

This reminds me a bit of mammal.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 735
    edited October 2015
    @steamabacus Thanks, should've read the rules first. @fretwired Thanks :D @PolarityMan I don't mammal, will check them out.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."