NGD - Monterey Pop Strat (partscaster forum special!)

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2373
Was half tempted to wait until I've had this setup properly (few issues presently), but the photos came out so well, I had to share (and also because @lamf68 deserves the credit!) :)

If anyone remembers my dabble with Monterey Pop graphics before, well, this set off an itch I had to scratch. I was keeping an eye out on eBay and here for a Fiesta Red body for reasonable money, without much luck. In the end a black one turned up on here, a message to Rich to see how much to paint the Monterey Red/White, ship to me for graphics and back again to him for clear. He gave me a reasonable price, so I bought the body! In the end, we found a way of making vinyl templates so Rich ended up doing the graphics part too, loads more too it, the build thread linked below if interested).

The rest of the details are on the build thread HERE and the pickups thread (Oil City Masterwounds) HERE

The pictures :D

0reaction image LOL 18reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Brilliant, that looks really sweet, good job!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26902
    'kin 'ell.

:D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870
    Been following the build thread, but wow, that is genius.

And dibs, clearly :)

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Love it, great work
  • Groovy baby  :)
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Stunning.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7133
    Set it on fire!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Awesome. Really awesome.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Quality job!
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611
    Very classy...congrats Dave, you have built a real winner there. One of the best looking strats I've seen.
    Enough graphics to be effective without going too heavy & making it look too busy on the art front.

OK...so how many photoshops did you put together before you came up with the final design LOL
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2373
    bazxkr said:
    Very classy...congrats Dave, you have built a real winner there. One of the best looking strats I've seen.
    Enough graphics to be effective without going too heavy & making it look too busy on the art front.

OK...so how many photoshops did you put together before you came up with the final design LOL
    I can't claim the design @bazxkr - this was the version of Jimi's customised Strat that Fender went with on their CS version. Just without the awful backstage pass style sticker they added. 

Quite a bit of PS and Illustrator work to get it template ready though :)

Dropping it off to CA Guitarworks this afternoon for a setup, can't wait to play this guitar, it's going to sound great with the @TheGuitarWeasel pickups in :D
  • Wow! That's totally excellent!
    I'm sure on here I don't need to 'big up' @lamf68 skills, but just dropped the guitar off to CA, Chris was blown away by how well the paint work is finished :)

The more and more I look at this the more I love it.... gonna be agony waiting for the setup to be done and then a chance to play

If you wanted your surf green American special back we could always do a swap LOL

That has to be a keeper... I'm jealous as hell

bazxkr said:

The more and more I look at this the more I love it.... gonna be agony waiting for the setup to be done and then a chance to play

If you wanted your surf green American special back we could always do a swap LOL

That has to be a keeper... I'm jealous as hell

I think I'll pass @bazxkr as lovely as that guitar was, that was what started this idea in the first place :D

I've asked Chris for as quick a turn around as he can do, can't wait to give it a go through the Kemper.

Ordered a SCRATCH-IT guard last night too, as the laquer finish on the pick guard is not going to last - will update the build thread with that though when it arrives.
    It's back from it's setup, it is now playable, although it'll be going back in around 6 months when everything has 'settled' so I can get a fret level. Still, it plays pretty good for now :)

Did a quick audio sample to demo the pickups (calling @TheGuitarWeasel) ;

First part (repeating Chili's riff) is the 5 way pickup selector in order, neck -> bridge, after that, everything else is the neck with varying levels of gain. Hopefully that might give some insight as to how they sound.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10246
    edited October 2015 tFB Trader
    Stunning job with the build, and excellent job with the the pickup test dude! And I am polishing my nails a bit, that was the sound I was shooting for when I wound em! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Stunning job with the build, and excellent job with the the pickup test dude! And I am polishing my nails a bit, that was the sound I was shooting for when I wound em! 
    Dead happy with the pickups Ash, exactly what I was after too :)
    edited October 2015
    Sounds real sweet Dave.... I trust you have acquired 1968ish style clothing & headband to match ? Could always try on the summer of love angle with SWMBO haha Pics or it didn't happen LOL
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Nice job, looks great.
    Don't touch that dial.