SOLO of the Month #8 - Chat

What's Hot
Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
edited October 2015 in Making Music
This is the 8th SOLO of the Month (SotM) Challenge, being run by @Antique_Guitars and @TTony.

The idea is that we give you a new backing track to solo over every month, the backing track will be a maximum of 1.5mins long and you will have to download the track from soundcloud and record your solo over the top of it and then submit it to us.

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until 24th October.

All you have to do is ...
  • Download the backing track and record you solo over the top of it.
  • Challenge opens on the 1st of every month, and closes on the 24th of the month.
  • Voting opens on the 25th of the month, and closes on the last day of the month, when the winner will be announced.

Here is this months backing track (you can download it from soundcloud)

Specs: Neo Soul in Bb Minor

Let us know if you would like your entry to be anonymous.

Send your tracks to solos@theFB.co.uk

The tracks will be uploaded to our SoundCloud account and saved in a playlist that will be linked below

PLEASE GIVE CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK ON PEOPLES SOLOS AND RECORDING TECHNIQUES IF YOU HAVE TIME
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited October 2015
    Sounds like a good one.  I will be having a go this month for sure.   Actually, no I won't be bothering...
  • rashrash Frets: 38
    I decided to just improv it this month and see what happened, I did three takes and this one was the best

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Nice.  Lovely tone as well.
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    @rash - fantastic tone mate

• rashrash Frets: 38
    Thanks guys, its an sg2000 running into the 59 Slp model on a Zoom G5 with the gain on 100. Added reverb after on Sonar.

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I wish I could play that well off the cuff @rash !

Not sure about this one. My normal approach of having one passable idea and then milking it for all it's worth isn't working when there's about 50 seconds on 1 chord. I'm struggling to generate some harmonic interest that would make it worth listening to.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    had a play with this last night. couldn't think of anything at all. Biggest problems: trying to get a sound that fits.. and that it's at a really uncomfortable speed, see if inspiration strikes during the week :)
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    edited October 2015
    Solo sent in.

Blimey, I found this hard work. I struggled to make it interesting (some may argue I still failed) and then I struggled to play it in time (definitely failed). I lost count of how many takes I did, over several evenings.

This is the best I could do. Constructive criticism welcomed - I know it could be better. But I promised myself I wouldn't skip this one just because it seemed a bit too hard.

<edit> I feel I should add that actually, I did enjoy it. I mean, it's still playing guitar!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I always have the same problems - can't find the bloody track, can't download the bloody track!!!!! I wish we could just get a link in the first post saying 'click here to download'.

just dont get on with soundcloud
  • @axisus ; Do you not get a download button on the embedded SoundCloud widget? It's the down arrow to the left of the 'share' button.
    markv said:
    Solo sent in.

Blimey, I found this hard work. I struggled to make it interesting (some may argue I still failed) and then I struggled to play it in time (definitely failed). I lost count of how many takes I did, over several evenings.

This is the best I could do. Constructive criticism welcomed - I know it could be better. But I promised myself I wouldn't skip this one just because it seemed a bit too hard.

<edit> I feel I should add that actually, I did enjoy it. I mean, it's still playing guitar!
    Get your pain on this one. I must have played along 50 times to this and I haven't come up with anything at all. I can't find a sound to fit, can't find a tune. Everything I play just sounds very samey.

Will record something tonight and send it, just to take part. Hopefully inspiration strikes.
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I'm in the same boat.  I've messed around a bit and nothing is really happening.  Usually I get a rough idea of what I want to play fairly quickly, then I just have to practice to be able to actually play it properly.  This time I'm at a bit of a loss.

I won't have a chance to record anything until Saturday so it's going to be a rush job as well :(.

(I was also kinda hoping @Teetonetal had forgotten about it this month ;) )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @axisus ; Do you not get a download button on the embedded SoundCloud widget? It's the down arrow to the left of the 'share' button.
    Many thanks for that!!!!
    Submitted.

Went the improve route, happy with bits but the middle bit went a bit wrong. Didn't enjoy this one at all. But a good challenge.
  • Submitted - octave pedal 'n all.
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Hmm, submitted mine but it ain't pretty. Did a clean section and a dirty section. Would have redone the clean section given more time.

Still, a visit to GuitarGuitar this morning now means I have studio monitors and a new interface to install. Time to do a Win10 upgrade and get all the software installed!!
    Damn! I was going to do one for this and I'm out of time. I had it in my head that tomorrow was the last day. Oh well, it was not going to be amazing ....