PSA Mesa amps sale at GuitarGuitar

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
edited October 2015 in Amps
@thomasross20 hint hint

The TA30 there's looks particularly attractive, both the head and 1x12 combo for £999 or the 2x12 combo for £1099 which I think is a good deal.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/clearance/?tag=Mesa-Boogie-Sale&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nlf&utm_campaign=071015
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• So does this mean GG are not stocking Mesa any more?  Everything says end of line
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Be careful when buying cabs from Guitar Guitar, particularly ones that use Mesa Trac-Lock wheels. You might not end up with a full product!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    The TA models are discontinued, the express is the old model, not the Plus. The sale has no current mkV 25. So I think it's just stock clearance of discontinued models. That said, the TA30 are great, I tried out the Ta15, almost bought it ahead of the Atma but it had no Fx loop, but the TA30 does, but it was way out of budget back then. Now at £1k is very good value IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    Dual Rec for £1300 - nice.

I always fancied an Electradyne. Never heard a bad demo of one.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    That's a proper sale... Those 2x12 Rectifier cabs are £700 new, sold for £400!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    On paper the TA-30 is the perfect amp for my but I keep on getting put off it by every demo video I've seen - it always comes across as thin/phasey/scratchy sounding. If it really does have an AC30 and Tweed hidden in there it must be good though, right?
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited October 2015
    If ever I was to get a Mesa, I'd get something in that sale. But after trying the Mark V:25 I left somewhat uninspired. I have almost everything I want in the Blackstar and said to myself when I tried the Mark V that I was going to discount Mesa from here on in. I'm also not into big heads *chuckle*. I think the Mesa amps are too metal for me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Cirrus said:
    On paper the TA-30 is the perfect amp for my but I keep on getting put off it by every demo video I've seen - it always comes across as thin/phasey/scratchy sounding. If it really does have an AC30 and Tweed hidden in there it must be good though, right?
    In the same way as a MkIII had a Fender and a Marshall hidden in there? Delivering the three great amp tones with flawless footswitchable accuracy...

:))

The TA does have a post-PI master volume, so it has something in common with a modern Vox (via Matchless), but I'm not sure there's really much else other than EL84s that would make it 'Vox' - or any kind of Tweed.

The MkIV has a 'Tweed' mode which is simply a voltage drop.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I don't know if the difference in quality is really enough to justify the price when compared to my Blackstar, seriously. 
    edited October 2015
    @thomasross20 I wonder if purely in the context of this thread about Mesa amps on sale it would be fair to say that no one really cares about your Blackstar.  :P

/NASTYMAN
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    I don't know if the difference in quality is really enough to justify the price when compared to my Blackstar, seriously. 
    A Dual Rec at full tilt is one of life's great experiences.

Everyone should try it, at least once.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cirrus said:
    @thomasross20 I wonder if purely in the context of this thread about Mesa amps on sale it would be fair to say that no one really cares about your Blackstar.  :P

/NASTYMAN
    Well, I was only saying because Raymond knows I was looking at Mesa/valve amps and I came to the conclusion that after trying the Mark V:25, I preferred my Blackstar - all in context! But tha last I'll mention it in this thread...

I'm going to wait for a lunchbox-type head (like Victory V40) that ticks all the boxes. Mark V:25 connections are excellent but would prefer 3 channels and a bit simpler to dial in. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    ICBM;808128" said:
    Cirrus said:

In the same way as a MkIII had a Fender and a Marshall hidden in there? Delivering the three great amp tones with flawless footswitchable accuracy...

:))

The TA does have a post-PI master volume, so it has something in common with a modern Vox (via Matchless), but I'm not sure there's really much else other than EL84s that would make it 'Vox' - or any kind of Tweed.

The MkIV has a 'Tweed' mode which is simply a voltage drop.
    I think the vox tone is great and the tweed setting has a definite fender flavour but I wouldn't use the word tweed. I'm not sure why all of the YouTube videos for these amps are poor when there are a lot of great tones in them. Vox style clean tone then Marshall style crunch from the two channels is how I normally run it.

Anyone who's anywhere near Northampton is very welcome to have a blast on my TA-15.
    edited October 2015
    Haha I don't mind really @thomasross20. FWIW the Mark V 25 probably doesn't have much in common with the TA, RA or Electrodyne basic sound.

@ICBM indeed, I don't expect it to be an AC30 but with various things like "top boost" "cut" and 4 el84s running in class A (ok I know AC30s are really hot biased AB but you get the idea...) I hear the sound in the demos and it's like they were told to make it sound like an AC30 except they'd never heard one so they asked someone who hates AC30s to describe the tone and went with what I imagine the description was; "honky mids, scratchy treble, no bass at all and no dynamics".

But like I say, this is all from watching maybe 30 youtube demos, I'd love to actually hear one in real life but can't help but think that if they ALL sound like that...
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350

I'm VERY tempted by the Electra Dynes.  Why on earth would the long body head be £200 more than the medium though, for what amounts only to some longer pieces of timber in its build?

Ditto the 1x12 combo being £100 more than the 2x12, nuts.  Luckily its the medium body head I'd go for, but luck normally prevails the other way around...

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    I'm tempted by their 2 x 12 Transatlantic cabinet - it's stating only 42lb which seems light but if true could be perfect.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    They do these end of line Mesa sales from time to time. Eurgh, I'd love to be able to justify a Dual Rec for home
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    The cabs are going fast, not many left!
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited October 2015
    The cabs are going fast, not many left!
    Not surprisingly all the 2x12s with Mesa V30s are gone (apart from the 4x12s). Only the Black Shadow C90 cabs are left. Not that they're bad speakers but the V30s do kick more ass.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited October 2015
    I got the TA30 head and 2 x 12 Transatlantic cabinet.

Don't feel so bad now about sitting in their Epsom shop for a few hours the other day (not that they've made much out of me on this order...)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom