Tailpiece studs for Tokai Les Paul

What's Hot
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread about my Tokai and it transpired that my tailpiece studs were bent.

So I ordered some new ones from here, these are the ones I bought:

They finally arrived yesterday and alas they do not fit my guitar.

The diameter of the studs is too big to screw into the guitar, and upon closer examination I noticed that the tailpiece would not slot into the studs anyway.

The tailpiece is too chunky to slot into the studs if that makes sense.

Do any of you know which studs I should buy as I don't want to waste another chunk of beer tokens on useless pieces of metal ;)

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ADPADP Frets: 184
    I would imagine that you need a set of metric studs. You can buy them separately or with a tail piece. Gotoh would be your best bet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168

Speak to Steve @streethawk

Tuners, bridges, tailpieces etc.. I buy from him.

Darren

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited November 2015
    A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread about my Tokai and it transpired that my tailpiece studs were bent.

So I ordered some new ones from here, these are the ones I bought:

They finally arrived yesterday and alas they do not fit my guitar.

The diameter of the studs is too big to screw into the guitar, and upon closer examination I noticed that the tailpiece would not slot into the studs anyway.

The tailpiece is too chunky to slot into the studs if that makes sense.

Do any of you know which studs I should buy as I don't want to waste another chunk of beer tokens on useless pieces of metal ;)

Thanks
    The studs you bought are the wrong thread pattern for your existing tailpiece bushes (imperial/inch thread).

If you're buying Faber, you need their metric locking studs. 

If you're interested, I'll exchange the ones you bought and remove the price (incl shipping) you paid against a locking set. Or you could contact Gottfried at Tokai.de and see what he can do, he's pretty good with returns/exchanges.

Your tailpiece will fit the locking set, the way the studs work is more flexible.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    What @streethawk said. Although Faber make most of their parts in imperial or metric alternatives that does not seem to be the case with the 59 Gibson-style tailpiece studs. Very many, if not most, guitars made outside the USA use metric parts, including Tokai. To add confusion USA-made Gibsons with Schaller bridges have a mix of metric (bridge) and imperial (tailpiece) studs.

I bought a Tone-Lock tailpiece stud kit and a locking ABR bridge from Faber for my 1982 Gibson ES-335 earlier this year. All very good quality stuff. The first bridge sent was the wrong type but Gottfried immediately sent a replacement, trusting me to return the one I had  -  which I did of course. The tone-lock kit is definitely worth the small extra cost.

That's a very helpful and generous offer from @streethawk BTW :)
  • @streethawk - thanks very much, you're a gent!
    I'd like to take you up on the offer please.
    PM'd

Thanks everyone else for your help as always - wis' all round!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom