Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
edited March 2014 in Off Topic
Decided to get a bike license for my daily commute.
I'm not from the UK so not entirely sure of the process- can someone who rides give me a summary of what I need to do and what sort of bike I should learn on?

I'm a big guy- 6ft 2, 100kg so not sure if a 125cc is the way to go.
I'm assuming I'll get a bike to learn on before getting something bigger but I don't know exactly what sort of thing.

I'm not interested in racing type bikes- I like custom cruisers and the like.
Can anyone help me out here?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    octatonic said:
    Decided to get a bike license for my daily commute.
    I'm not from the UK so not entirely sure of the process- can someone who rides give me a summary of what I need to do and what sort of bike I should learn on?

I'm a big guy- 6ft 2, 100kg so not sure if a 125cc is the way to go.
    I'm assuming I'll get a bike to learn on before getting something bigger but I don't know exactly what sort of thing.

I'm not interested in racing type bikes- I like custom cruisers and the like.
    Can anyone help me out here?
    Go book a 5-day Direct Access 

Then once you have you license go test some bikes... look for something 500cc-650cc with an upright sitting position. Commuter bikes are comfy to ride and economical on fuel... also as a big guy 125 might feel like a toy... I find a 125 to be too small and light and you're a taller and heavier than I 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • im a big guy too and easily get 65mph out of my Yamaha YBR 125, 70+ if the weather is right

if you are going for a full DAS course you will be riding a 600cc and you will need to pass your theory beforehand.. if you want to get a CBT and be out on L plates a 125cc is the max you can have.. I had a Vity 125 scooter before the YBR and even that would be 60+ no problem

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • here is a chart showing your options with the new regulations bought in this year..

• You need to take/ pass your CBT ( Compulsory Basic Training). One day, about £100. Your local shop or bike training place can help. And/ or you can get a free one hour lesson ahead of that from the Get On scheme. Www.geton.co.UK

Your CBT means you can ride up to 125cc until you pass your full test. As I understand it. 

The UK's biggest bike show starts next weekend at the NEC, Motorcycle Live.

:-B
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Thanks peeps.

Ok, can anyone suggest a good place to get this started around West London area?
    Do I need to prep for the CBT?
  • no prep really needed for a CBT, if they are not happy with you after the day they will have you back the day after to finish off without charge, its not a pass/fail thing its just to get you sorted and competent with the basics.

you getting a CBT before you get a bike?
    octatonic said:
    Thanks peeps.

Ok, can anyone suggest a good place to get this started around West London area?
    Do I need to prep for the CBT?
    The CBT is to teach you to ride safely, as long as you're not a crazy person you shouldn't need to prep.
    Myranda said: as long as you're not a crazy person you shouldn't need to prep.
    I promise nothing.
    no prep really needed for a CBT, if they are not happy with you after the day they will have you back the day after to finish off without charge, its not a pass/fail thing its just to get you sorted and competent with the basics.

you getting a CBT before you get a bike?
    I'll have to, won't I?
    Otherwise how would I get it home?
    You can have it delivered
  • the dealer would deliver it to your home or the training centre.... you will pay about £40 extra to use one of the training centres bikes which may be well worth it, imagine the cost if you are using your own bike and have a whoopsie.
  • I've been riding since I was a kid as my old man was a bike mechanic.  As a big bloke I have no issues with 125s but in some situations acceleration is your friend and me personally I like to know that bit extra power is there if I need it. 

If your commute takes you through town with a lot of stopping and starting and you only plan on doing your CBT, then I honestly feel a comfortable scooter is better than a 125.  Just my opinion though.

Be aware, as they will inform you, if you do a DAC day one will usually be your CBT and to move on you will have had to have done your theory prior to the course starting. 

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    edited November 2013
    I want one of these:

I'm going to do the direct access course- want a nice bike and to be unrestricted, but I need something to learn on.
    Was thinking about a Yamaha YBR to start with.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2013

Would be a good choice.  The T100 is a lovely bike.  Though I am biased as I've only ever bought Triumphs.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    I went from a riding experience of sitting on a scrambler bike long enough to fire it at a bush leaving me sat where the bike and I started to riding a 500cc after my Direct Access - if it's a good school you shouldn't need practice 
  • this was my bike for a while, 2007 Suzuki Van Van, beautiful it was easy the nicest 125cc I have known but I got such a great deal on a brand new 12 plater YBR with warranty, rac etc... that it was the smart move to go with that..

I do miss it though..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • you want a proper bike not one of those scooter things with squidgy suspension and no road holding.

Like the look of that trumpet, but couldn't get used to the left-foot gearshift. I'd want it put back on the right side of the bike (in both senses of the word)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • you want a proper bike not one of those scooter things with squidgy suspension and no road holding.

Like the look of that trumpet, but couldn't get used to the left-foot gearshift. I'd want it put back on the right side of the bike (in both senses of the word)
    did bikes used to have gear change on the right then? never knew that..

main problem I had with the rev and go 125cc I had is the 2-3 months I had it I aquired 2 speeding tickets, there was no natural way to know your speed, obviously I couldn't judge it by sound/gears and to look down at the speedo gave no view of the road.. its pretty much the first reason I switched to gears as I was more than happy nipping around the city on a scoot.

of course now I ride gears I love it, been Mablethorpe(216m round trip) and regularly go Stratford on Avon(90 odd m round trip) and love the experience.. I would like something like a Diversion 600 but if I could a)afford the DAS course and b)afford a bigger bike then I would just have a car, reason I got myself a bike in the first place is because we struggle to afford to run 2 cars..

125cc is £90 fully comp insurance, £16 tax and I put a tenner in the tank and 160+ miles later I put another tenner in the tank, so cheap to run.
  • did bikes used to have gear change on the right then? never knew that..

Me neither, all mine have had left-foot lever.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    did bikes used to have gear change on the right then? never knew that..

Me neither, all mine have had left-foot lever.
    And they used to be up for first then down for the rest. Caused me a bit of a problem going from a B25 to an S3 400 triple!