Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Good trader thread - suggestion for revamp as it currently doesn't work!

What's Hot
Hello
I'm new to this forum but an old member on Basschat. 

The 'good trader v4 thread' doesn't work, sorry. As a new buyer it's just impossible to find out feedback from a potential seller.
What you need is the system they use on basschat where each member has a thread, check it out:

It is then a simple matter for sellers to direct buyers to their feedback, and vice versa.
It's just a case of creating the section and then it creates itself as buyers and sellers leave feedback for each other after trades.
Fretboard trader feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/65502/
Basschat trader feedback: http://tinyurl.com/8yevyl6
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 450
    It is quite difficult to search through the current Good Traders / Bad Traders threads, and it would be great if there was an easier way to get a summary, maybe as the OP says, have one entry per member with scores?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i don't understand the scores, it needs a simple way to leave positive or negative feedback, check the basschat link it's simple and requires no moderation or scoring.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27429
    tedmanzie said:
    Hello
    Welcome!

tedmanzie said:
    The 'good trader v4 thread' doesn't work, sorry. 
    No need to apologise - it doesn't work.  It started life as a manually updated process, but the volunteer manual updater had to focus on other life challenges!

tedmanzie said:
    What you need is the system they use on basschat where each member has a thread
    That looks like a better option than what we've currently got.

I could create a new section in the Classifieds to hold all the threads - one per user.

With time, we could even try to incorporate the existing feedback into the new threads, so that history wasn't lost.  *With time*!

Any downsides - other than the risk of multiple threads being created for an individual member?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Best way of doing it searching for the username and then advance and check misc only. Not great but does the job kind of.
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It'd be handy if we could embed the correct search options into a sticky - easy then for someone to search for a member before creating a new thread.

Either that, or we could restrict members from creating new threads, and appoint a feedback mod who'd be the person able to create those threads, ensuring no duplication.
  • xtedmanziextedmanzie Frets: 48
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for the welcome!
    I've already spent £1100 on a guitar and only been here a week, yikes!! (which is why I am interested in the feedback thread!)

Downsides to the Basschat feedback system are occasionally you get more than one thread per member when the seller starts a new thread not realising that one exists, so the mods have to merge them. But once a member has a thread (and they only need one once they buy/sell) then it's pretty easy to make it work.

The other downside would be that people might be reluctant to leave negative feedback, but they do seem to and there are very few occasions where basschat has problematic trades. 

• The big plus is that you can link people direct to your feedback thread to either read it, or leave feedback. Works both ways for buyer and seller.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4524
    @mrswanson +1 great idea!
    I'm going to move this to the Classifieds sections (I'll probably move it between the different sections over the next few days so everyone has a chance to see it) just to try to gather some more feedback & suggestion.
  • JookyjrJookyjr Frets: 870
    Would it be better if people just left feedback on the seller's wall? No need for new threads/sections and nobody seems to use it for much apart from publicly available PMS ;)

I presume that the thread owner can't edit it (?) so no hassle on the fraud front.

Downside: It wouldn't give a total count, but you could soon get an idea reading through the various feedback.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    TTony said:
    It'd be handy if we could embed the correct search options into a sticky - easy then for someone to search for a member before creating a new thread.

Either that, or we could restrict members from creating new threads, and appoint a feedback mod who'd be the person able to create those threads, ensuring no duplication.
    I've got loads of time on my hands now. I can handle that for you if you like ?
    Just let me know.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    As it looks, there isn't THAT much work in collating the historical feedback and applying it to the 'New' Thread for each member.

It's not nothing but it's nothing like difficult, again if you want that done, let me know.

I'm on 'The Musicians Scholarship' now and the curriculum isn't exactly what you could call heavy !
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    I'll ignore the fact that I suggested this donkeys ago, and was shot down because Basschat charges for the classifieds. because that's clearly the same thing as feedback.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    TTony said:
    tedmanzie said:
    Hello
    Welcome!

tedmanzie said:
    No need to apologise - it doesn't work.  It started life as a manually updated process, but the volunteer manual updater had to focus on other life challenges!

tedmanzie said:

I could create a new section in the Classifieds to hold all the threads - one per user.

With time, we could even try to incorporate the existing feedback into the new threads, so that history wasn't lost.  *With time*!

Any downsides - other than the risk of multiple threads being created for an individual member?

Nope.

just make sure feedback threads can't be deleted.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    I don't see the problem with the +1 list on here. Really quickly go to the first page, find the user name and read the number next to it.

If you need to leave multiple +1's it takes seconds rather than finding the users thread and commenting. I suspect more folk are likely to leave feedback if it is a simple +1@blah.
    photek said:
    I don't see the problem with the +1 list on here. Really quickly go to the first page, find the user name and read the number next to it.
    The problem is that *someone* has to read all the posts in the thread and then update that number on the first page list.

It's not been updated in about 18 months.  We need a system that doesn't rely on a someone to do that work.

Alnico said:
    TTony said:
    appoint a feedback mod who'd be the person able to create those threads, ensuring no duplication.
    I've got loads of time on my hands now. I can handle that for you if you like ?
    Just let me know.
    :)
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited November 2015
    I know dude I did it for a year or so before Jooky. Once it is up to date it doesn't take long. I don't have a home computer anymore otherwise I would do it. It's a bitch to do on an iPad lol.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I'm happy to help out with the admin of the rep system, if you need it.
  • TTony said:
    tedmanzie said:
    Hello
    Welcome!

tedmanzie said:

tedmanzie said:

Nope.

It seems to work ok on basschat - kind of self policing, self generating system that doesn't rely on moderators to work it. I'm sure it has plusses and minuses, but I've done about 50 trades on there and always found it quite a helpful system. If you're the thread starter I'm not sure if you can delete posts. But often feedback threads are started by buyers anyway.

You're right, Basschat charges either a subscription or one off fee to adverstise items over £50. There are mixed views on that!
  • TTony said:
    tedmanzie said:
    Hello
    Welcome!

tedmanzie said:

tedmanzie said:

Nope.

It seems to work ok on basschat - kind of self policing, self generating system that doesn't rely on moderators to work it. I'm sure it has plusses and minuses, but I've done about 50 trades on there and always found it quite a helpful system. If you're the thread starter I'm not sure if you can delete posts. But often feedback threads are started by buyers anyway.

You're right, Basschat charges either a subscription or one off fee to adverstise items over £50. There are mixed views on that!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom