Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's the best jcm800 in a box pedal ?!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I need one , advice please !
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Marshall shredmaster
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • By far the most accurate is if you buy a grey Pete Cornish pedal you could gut it and fit an actual JCM800 head in there.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    I think my Marshall Jackhammer covers the JCM800 very well.
  • Forgot the guvnor as well
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Mk1 Guvnor.

Hardwire CM-2Tube Overdrive very close to the Guv.

Jackhammer is a cheap way to get close.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Wait for it ....
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    Cabicular said:
    Wait for it ....

ah you mean the MI audio super Crunchbox, or the bogner ecstasy red? Or the Suhr riot?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    Cabicular said:
    Wait for it ....

ah you mean the MI audio super Crunchbox, or the bogner ecstasy red? Or the Suhr riot?
    What this man said.
    Also the Shredmaster is super awesome.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Let's not forget the Angry Charlie and or Sweat tea ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I liked the guvnor plus. It doesn't have tons of gain but max it out and tweak the eq and it's the closets I've ever heard to an actual jcm800 which are not monster gain amps.

The resonance knob is genius. Adds in tons of low end, you need to be careful with it and the bass knob as it's such a powerful pedal. It doesn't clean up amazingly, but it does sound more like a real amp than others I've tried.

Beyond that, @mike_l is bang on with the jackhammer. Amazing box of rock. The Marshall range of pedals seems overlooked but they're great sounding. Knobs are a pain in the dark though.
  • I don't think a shredmaster is any where near a JCM800. It's sounds more like a Mk1 Valvestate to me with its contour control. (That's no bad thing btw, I really like my Shredmaster and had a Valvestate for years)

The Mk. 1 Guvnor is much closer to the sound that comes out of my JCM800. Whether it's the 'best' is entirely a personal judgement though.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited November 2015
    The visual sound hyde is a jackhammer clone right?

Also the wampler plextortion is more jcm than plexi really
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    hugbot said:
    The visual sound hyde is a jackhammer clone right?

Also the wampler plextortion is more jcm than plexi really
    It's a shredmaster clone with the bass pot inside.

Agree that the Shredmaster isn't that JCM like, but it's the nuts.
  • Don't know about the JCM model as such, but Marshall in a box
    is the XTS Atomic, Carl Martin Plexi-tone is amazing too.

• I don't think a shredmaster is any where near a JCM800. It's sounds more like a Mk1 Valvestate to me with its contour control. (That's no bad thing btw, I really like my Shredmaster and had a Valvestate for years)

The Mk. 1 Guvnor is much closer to the sound that comes out of my JCM800. Whether it's the 'best' is entirely a personal judgement though.
    wouldnt that all depend on the amp it is going into?
  • I've been playing through a Guv'nor 2 tonight and I really don't think it does that good a Marshall sound. To me it sounds too "soft". My old Valvestate 8020 did a better Marshall stack sound, especially miked up for recording. There's enough amp-like distortion there but it doesn't sound aggressive or cutting enough somehow. 

The circuit looks quite similar to the original Guv'nor and the Valvestate drive channel (clipping red LEDs to ground, TL072 opamps), but clipping C22 for extra brightness seems to be a common mod.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Mk 1 Guv'nor
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited November 2015
    Tone City Model M -sounds like a Marshall Amp should!  Built like a tank, £79.99 at Andertons, 2 yr no quibble guarantee (anything goes wrong they send you a new pedal), and includes adjustable boost switch for solo's and it has a crunch & high gain channel.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Looks cool the tone city pedal

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• meltedbuzzbox;875618" said:
    Flanging_Fred said:

I don't think a shredmaster is any where near a JCM800. It's sounds more like a Mk1 Valvestate to me with its contour control. (That's no bad thing btw, I really like my Shredmaster and had a Valvestate for years)

wouldnt that all depend on the amp it is going into?
    Not really in my experience. Used with Fender twin reverb, Mesa Boogie, Peavey, Groove Tubes. The Guvnor was always more JCM800 than the Shredmaster. The Shredmaster has too much bass and gain to really nail that JCM800 mid range crunch properly.