Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

DD-500 owners

What's Hot
therose789therose789 Frets: 467
Hi lads n' lasses 

Just having a ponder on maybe getting a new delay pedal that I can program stuff into. 

I have always fancied a dd20 but with the new fella out i wondered what peoples thoughts on them are? Are they worth the monies or are they not that much better than the DD20? 

I would be selling on my El Capistan to fund it so it would need to have a nice tape delay sound. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• On both the DD20 & DD500 the tape delay is not as good as it is on more dedicated units.  It's equally not as bad as some may have you believe but if tape delay is your go to it would definitely ne worth try one in the flesh before ditching the El Cap.  The tape delay on them is a good delay in it's own right just not as convincing (out of the box at least) as either the Replex or Space Echo and probably the El Cap, although I've never had one of those.  The extra editable features of the DD500 means that with a bit of time and tweaking you could probably get it spot on but as I have the other two on my board I haven't really gone down that route with it.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I did a tape delay comparison to the VMSD.  The VMSD is much vaunted for it's tape sound and what I feel is the huge difference is that the basic tape sound is more or less the same, the VMSD though has wow and flutter options, which the Boss doesn't have.

But, the Boss does so many thing well - pattern delay, Tera Echo, vintage digital (the best), reverse ect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have always fancied a dd20 but with the new fella out i wondered what peoples thoughts on them are? Are they worth the monies or are they not that much better than the DD20? 

The DD-20 was among the first of the sort of do-it-all bells 'n whistles delays that everybody makes now, but as such IMO its feature set has been left in the dirt by the competition. The DD-20 can only hold four presets, only really works for tap tempo with an external switch, has limited options in several of its modes compared to what you can achieve with other comparable delays (dual delay is poop, looper is extremely basic, "warp" and "twist" are of limited use), and is completely lacking in some areas you might be interested in- pitch shifted delays for instance.

On the other hand, the DD-20 is pretty intuitive to use, sounds good, is pretty good value for money these days and should cover all your bases if you're a regular rock guy in need of some "bread and butter" delays.

If it was me I'd weigh up the extra features and complexity of the DD-500 against what the DD-20 can do versus what you actually need from a delay pedal (in my experience extra toys seem like a great idea at the time, but are hard to incorporate in to many kinds of actual music without sounding gimmicky and a bit shit).

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I have always fancied a dd20 but with the new fella out i wondered what peoples thoughts on them are? Are they worth the monies or are they not that much better than the DD20? 

The DD-20 was among the first of the sort of do-it-all bells 'n whistles delays that everybody makes now, but as such IMO its feature set has been left in the dirt by the competition. The DD-20 can only hold four presets, only really works for tap tempo with an external switch, has limited options in several of its modes compared to what you can achieve with other comparable delays (dual delay is poop, looper is extremely basic, "warp" and "twist" are of limited use), and is completely lacking in some areas you might be interested in- pitch shifted delays for instance.

On the other hand, the DD-20 is pretty intuitive to use, sounds good, is pretty good value for money these days and should cover all your bases if you're a regular rock guy in need of some "bread and butter" delays.

If it was me I'd weigh up the extra features and complexity of the DD-500 against what the DD-20 can do versus what you actually need from a delay pedal (in my experience extra toys seem like a great idea at the time, but are hard to incorporate in to many kinds of actual music without sounding gimmicky and a bit shit).

I have always fancied a dd20 but with the new fella out i wondered what peoples thoughts on them are? Are they worth the monies or are they not that much better than the DD20? 

Well heres my predicament, I have two delays on my board at the moment. An El Cap and a Kilobyte. Both sound great and different but essentially make modulated delay. 

I love them both, i got them for the ease of use as I used to have a time factor and it was just far too complicated, or maybe i didn't spend enough time with it. But i likes some of the features that if i needed a more unusual delay sound i could get it, but i found it a faff to make the sounds. 

I think I would like a delay that sounds good but is easy to program. 

I want to get myself a digi delay for the cleaner delay sounds so the dd500 seems to be a good option and a move away from buying boutique all the time!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16291
    edited December 2015
    If the Source Audio Nemesis finally makes it out (announced at Summer NAMM maybe in shops around Winter NAMM) that has 4 presets, modulation level, variety of delay types, smaller footprint than an X4, lot of effort into getting the tape delays right (according to their Facebook), straight forward controls but you can hook it up for deeper editing ( IIRC) if you want. Might be a pile of poo of course but on paper a really good gigging delay.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The dd500 is very good, and should be widely available, goto a store and check it out. There are things I don't like about it, but the Pros far outweigh the Cons.
  • The dd500 is very good, and should be widely available, goto a store and check it out. There are things I don't like about it, but the Pros far outweigh the Cons.
    Do you know if you can get 100% wet repeats? 
    Yes.  In fact you can get 120% wet repeats.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Yes.  In fact you can get 120% wet repeats.
    And it goes up to 11? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWeary;878545" said:
    If the Source Audio Nemesis finally makes it out (announced at Summer NAMM maybe in shops around Winter NAMM) that has 4 presets, modulation level, variety of delay types, smaller footprint than an X4, lot of effort into getting the tape delays right (according to their Facebook), straight forward controls but you can hook it up for deeper editing ( IIRC) if you want. Might be a pile of poo of course but on paper a really good gigging delay.
    Actually announced last Winter NAMM I realise, they aren't rushing at this. :bz There's an app for deeper editing if need be.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • love my dd500, still finding out new things every time I use it. 

Tape sounds great to my ears, the analog mode however doesnt sound just like my carbon copy, but its very close...
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • The thing is about the DD500, it's not a very (seemingly) sexy and exciting pedal.

BUT, it removed everything delay wise from my board (except the Moog SD). I could duplicate the El Cap, Obscura and the Flight Time really easily. And better in some cases...

And when you get into the menus (and Im not a tweaker), it really opens up. The ability to set pedal/FS use is incredible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The thing is about the DD500, it's not a very (seemingly) sexy and exciting pedal.

BUT, it removed everything delay wise from my board (except the Moog SD). I could duplicate the El Cap, Obscura and the Flight Time really easily. And better in some cases...

And when you get into the menus (and Im not a tweaker), it really opens up. The ability to set pedal/FS use is incredible.
    Listen to the man. He is cimpletely correct :)

Great advice! 

Are the menus intuitive? I found that with my Timefactor it took me ages to figure out what was what with it. 
  • Another thing pointing to the DD500 being quite good: there's been very few flipped. Yes, being bought new people would have simply sent them back but even then you'd have shops selling B-stock DD500's. I've seen two on the flip on eBay and one of those was a forumite here. 

If it's even got Waz going into the menus, then that really is a sign of decency! :)

Now to wait for the RV500... 

• Another thing pointing to the DD500 being quite good: there's been very few flipped. Yes, being bought new people would have simply sent them back but even then you'd have shops selling B-stock DD500's. I've seen two on the flip on eBay and one of those was a forumite here. 

If it's even got Waz going into the menus, then that really is a sign of decency! :)

Now to wait for the RV500... 

...Kicking and screaming mate... Kicking and screaming 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am liking this delay. It is the thru that makes it.
  • I haven't got one. I feel left out and alone :(

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7746
    I haven't got one. I feel left out and alone :(
    I don't have one either, but I do have a Count To Five, which seems to suddenly be in demand :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_C said:
    I haven't got one. I feel left out and alone :(
    I don't have one either, but I do have a Count To Five, which seems to suddenly be in demand :)
    and is quite possibly your fault.. not even heard of the CT5 until I saw your posts!