Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

DD-500 owners

What's Hot

Comments

• Well heres my predicament, I have two delays on my board at the moment. An El Cap and a Kilobyte. Both sound great and different but essentially make modulated delay. 
    I love them both, i got them for the ease of use as I used to have a time factor and it was just far too complicated, or maybe i didn't spend enough time with it. But i likes some of the features that if i needed a more unusual delay sound i could get it, but i found it a faff to make the sounds. 

I think I would like a delay that sounds good but is easy to program. 

I want to get myself a digi delay for the cleaner delay sounds so the dd500 seems to be a good option and a move away from buying boutique all the time!

I get the feeling you'd be right back to the same situation you had with the Timefactor- from what I can see of the DD-500 it looks like you'd have to do a fair bit of menu diving to get the most out of it.

Of course, it will have a shit ton of preset sounds too, so you might get lucky and find that BOSS have built all the tones you want already :D

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not that I've used a DD500 but I can't imagine it's anywhere near as fiddly as the Timefactor. 

• The boss is very, very, easy to edit. Few knobs on top for the major settings, menu for fine tuning. If you can't handle the DD500 then no menu system in the world would be easy enough. The key is very few sub menus. 

Sure if you want it do the crazy stuff you need to dig a bit, but setting up good sounding basic delays is easy as.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The boss is very, very, easy to edit.
    This.  I've owned it since release and it's only been this week I've thought I had the time to get into deep editing but it is so incredibly simple and fairly intuitive too.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Can you alter the percussiveness / crispness / don't know how to put it-ness of the repeats like you can with the bias control on El Capistan or the rec level on the Belle Epoch?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited December 2015
    nope, just tone shaping on the DD500 with a good eq and Modulation speed/depth
  • A few more questions, maybe you can help @teetonetal

Every video I have seen of it has the tempo read out in MS not BPM. Can you set it to do that? For lots of things I play to a click track which would be very helpful to set my presets up for different songs with a preset bpm. 

The next question is, whats the USB for? Can you share presets with people? That would be cool! 

Maybe I need to RTFM

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited December 2015

Yup I have mine setup for BPM, IIRC you just press the up arrow when on the main screen. It then just stays on BPM

UBS seems to be for future proofing. I really, really, hope Boss develop some software for this unit, liek Eventide have for the factors etc.. but their record in this is not very good. I imagine it will also be for firmware, again if/when they do it.

No doubt at some point an enterprising user will program some software if Boss don't,

The manual is shocking, one of the worst. So it's good that it's very easy and intuitive to use.

there is a huge thread on TGP though with loads of good info.

It's one of the things Boss lack IMO, they don't really develop communities around thier products, or develop them further. Who knows maybe the DD500 will be different

• Yup I have mine setup for BPM, IIRC you just press the up arrow when on the main screen. It then just stays on BPM

UBS seems to be for future proofing. I really, really, hope Boss develop some software for this unit, liek Eventide have for the factors etc.. but their record in this is not very good. I imagine it will also be for firmware, again if/when they do it.

No doubt at some point an enterprising user will program some software if Boss don't,

The manual is shocking, one of the worst. So it's good that it's very easy and intuitive to use.

It's one of the things Boss lack IMO, they don't really develop communities around thier products, or develop them further. Who knows maybe the DD500 will be different
    Well I think my El Cap may be going on the market.... 

• Yup I have mine setup for BPM, IIRC you just press the up arrow when on the main screen. It then just stays on BPM

Oh I do have one more question! 

When i got the eventide, scrolling through presets was almost impossible without a three button aux switch. 

Is this still the case with the Boss? If more usable getting a switch to flick through presets? 
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    @therose789 I'd be happy to take your El Capistan if you do decide to sell.
  • dtr said:
    @therose789 I'd be happy to take your El Capistan if you do decide to sell.
    Will drop you a line if/when I decide to do it. 

I'm going to try and get to a shop to try out the DD500 first. Just had a few technical questions I wanted to ask first. 
  • Well, the presets are stored on a 2 presets per bank system. You have to hold two left and middle switch to go down, right and middle to go up. It's do-able on the fly but not easy. A and B switches then turn the corresponding patches on or off.

So I generally only need two delay sounds per song, so It's not been an issue for me.

I bough an fs 7 to give me 5 switches in total and the configuring options are good.

something to watch out for, unit it not global tt, at all - this very, very nearly put me off.

• Well, the presets are stored on a 2 presets per bank system. You have to hold two left and middle switch to go down, right and middle to go up. It's do-able on the fly but not easy. A and B switches then turn the corresponding patches on or off.

So I generally only need two delay sounds per song, so It's not been an issue for me.

I bough an fs 7 to give me 5 switches in total and the configuring options are good.

something to watch out for, unit it not global tt, at all - this very, very nearly put me off.

When you say not global TT if you go from one patch to another the tempo changes depending on the preset?

When you say not global TT if you go from one patch to another the tempo changes depending on the preset?
    exactly. 

exactly. 
    I have learned a lot today! Thank you!
  • Was using this at rehearsal last night. It really is very, very good. Even better at volume.
  • The Source Audio is shipping in a couple of weeks, apparently. US dealers first (not that they really have any in the UK).

Price allowing I'll take the Nemesis over the DD500 for simplicity and compactness.
  • Was using this at rehearsal last night. It really is very, very good. Even better at volume.
    You are going to cost me some money with your praising of the DD500! 
    You are going to cost me some money with your praising of the DD500! 
    Well, all I can say is I hope you like it... :) Also in the initial weeks I nearly sold it a few times. A pedal where sticking with it has been worth it.