Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The 2016 no GAS challenge discussion

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7818
edited December 2015 in FX
Edit added two new threads to guitar section for this. No purchases in 2016... unless something breaks or work demands it...

I don't think I made the most of my pedals in 2015 and bought/sold too quickly. Fun in some ways, stupid in others.

So lets see if 2016 can be settled..
4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3080
    I told my self the same thing last year. Up until September  I hadn't bought a thing other than strings and picks.

Then I joined a band and bought a new amp, new guitar, traded one guitar for another and I've just bought a new multi effects unit.

So yeah, keep telling yourself that 
    \:D/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We'll see. I think it might be rewardign in many ways, even if it only lasts a couple of months.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6402
    No GAS 2016 ?

ABOMINATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1636
    I have been telling myself the same thing as I could do with keeping spending to a minimum in 2016.

I have bought a load of new pedals in the last few months and I have a new amp incoming so I really have no "need" for anything new.

I might have to leave this forum and a load of Facebook groups though in order to achieve the above.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm attempting to start on a good note and put two guitars up for sale locally last night. Sold one at lunchtime today so halfway there!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I was aiming for nothing in 2016.

Unless I see Simon before Friday (unlikely) I'll have failed.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2248
    edited December 2015
    @Teetonetal Do midi-switches (Disaster Area) count? I'm sorted for everything else now. In fact I'm selling stuff, and learning to love the fewer pedals I need. All part of my anti-GAS therapy.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4203
    edited December 2015
    Pedals only, or...?

I'm pretty confident that my fx/amp rig won't be changing at all this year. The Helix is ticking all the boxes after 3 months of use still, and there's only a few gaps in it - even then I think they'll be filled by later updates (i.e. no POG-a-like).

On the guitar front I'm finishing my tele build (just pickups left to decide on) but otherwise I'm good for quite a while. I'm toying with the idea of either an SG or LP D/C Junior build late in the year to finally replace the '62 SG I had (and still miss), but we'll see what happens there. The Revstar range spiked some GAS as the concept is great, but the colour options and final specs don't quite tick all the boxes.

Otherwise, no (realistic) GAS at all! My 2016 target is a year of re-learning how to play; my target is to learn one new song per week, and not just the same old riffs and parts over & over again.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4615
    Twenty bucks say you break by April.

Wonderful idea but i do want a tonebender mkII so I'm out.
  • Should this thread not be in the Parody section?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6233
    tFB Trader
    I said the same thing, but it goes against my "no lying to yourself" challenge. so i decided against it.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm in, well up for that challenge. 

Pedals is my only weakness and thats grinding to a halt so I think it will be easy enough
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I've committed to this now, see sig.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7870
    Should this thread not be in the Parody section?

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I've committed to this now, see sig.
    same as
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Me no likely this challenge. 

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3184
    tFB Trader
    Can I buy stuff if my GAS started in 2015?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• RiftAmps said:
    Can I buy stuff if my GAS started in 2015?
    Yes... if your GAS is a pre existing condition you're exempt.
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Despite my mockery. I'm in.

I've got money put aside for a travel/practice multifx/recording doohickey (boss br80 is the favourite), I just need to find one I want.
    If I get it ordered by 01/01/16 I'm going to see how long I can hold out.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7832
    edited December 2015
    This is my plan too. I made quite a couple purchases on 2015 so have all the gear I need for a long tim and need to save money. I'm not going and looking for any...however if something great falls in my lap... uh