Looks like the PRS CE is coming back for 2016

What's Hot
grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Always my favourite PRS, for some reason.  Glad to see it back!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    I loved my CE so it's good to see them coming back into production. Good move on including the new colours. Let's wait and see what the UK price will be.
  • Hope they also bring the CE22
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 222
    Now all we need is one with a maple fretboard...
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Looks to have Korean hardware and no hard case either. Basically an S2 bolt-on with a proper carved top and nicer pickups. Still pretty cool though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The PRS hard case is an awkward size unless you've got a bigger car. I prefer hiscox style cases anyway. The PRS gig bag with the SE models is really good, not sure what the S2's get but if it is the same then I'd prefer it as I'd actually use it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Given how comparatively cheap used PRS'es are at the minute I think it would have to offer something a bit extra to make buying new seem worthwhile. They are nice guitars though especially the CE22
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Prob my fav PRS too, although CE's need to be solid colours for me.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I'm surprised by this; the story was that they were discontinued as the differential in price between these and Customs did not reflect the fact that they were very little cheaper to make.

I presume cheaper hardware and the lack of a hard case makes them a more viable proposition this time round.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    No doubt PRS are continually streamlining their production processes too. That + the handful of shortcuts means this can exist.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited January 2016
    guitarfishbay;918927" said:
    The PRS hard case is an awkward size unless you've got a bigger car. I prefer hiscox style cases anyway. The PRS gig bag with the SE models is really good, not sure what the S2's get but if it is the same then I'd prefer it as I'd actually use it.
    Let's be honest, the PRS hard case is awful. I've always found it hilarious that one of the worlds most ergonomic guitars comes in a case that is impossible to take on public transport. I think it's a clever move. Lots of newer bands like Karnivool use the CE. People still remember that most of Rush's 90s albums were done with a CE24. So there's a market for this, people like them. I'll certainly be looking at one, although I wish they'd put the bigger DGT/Floyd 24 frets as standard on everything now. Also you can mod that toggle to a JJ/bare Knuckle Freeway switch & have 6 tones instead of 5
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If it is part of the S2 range they'll probably eventually do a 'standard' in solid colour (with a pick guard).
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've had a few ce's over the years and I much prefer them to the set neck guitars. The 1997 ce24 I had was jawdroppingly good, it's one I should have kept but I sold it to my old guitar tech for twice what I paid for it, he then had it stolen while touring America. I also had the 20th anniversary ce22 in a dark grey colour, that was fantastic to play and sounded huge.
  • Same spec as the S2 range (same trem, anyway) for more than an old higher-spec CE. Wasted opportunity?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Not sure what to think of this. I've had 3 CEs and I thought they all played great but sounded like dog shit until I changed the Dragon IIs. I see these come with good pickups but they've downgraded the hardware?
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Is the Korean hardware really that much worse than the US stuff? The general quality of my SE245 is fantastic, way better than any Gibson I've had.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Looks quite cool.

I get the feeling I'd gel better with a CE than I tend to with set-neck PRSes.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866
    Ugly tings.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    edited January 2016
    Richardj;919198" said:
    Is the Korean hardware really that much worse than the US stuff? The general quality of my SE245 is fantastic, way better than any Gibson I've had.
    No idea, but you can get a used original CE for £750 and then swap the pickups, so I don't know why you'd buy one of these for what I'm sure will be around £1500.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The korean parts are fine - the S2 models certainly don't seem to suffer from them when played alongside Core series guitars. That said, I think they should have gone for a "full" S2 model on these as they're going to look very pricey compared to older used CE's.