Drums for my daughter

What's Hot
My 7 year old has requested a drum kit for her birthday. My wife and I were thinking of an electronic set to preserve our sanity. What's a good set for a child to learn on? In other words, what's the Yamaha Pacifica of the drum world? Is it in fact a Yamaha? What configuration would you recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401

The Alesis DM range is pretty good for the money. You can get a used kit for around £150
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    The Yamaha DTX range are good, and you can get a decent set for a reasonable price on the used market - might be worth a look in?
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The problem with electronic kits is that cheap ones are a bit crap, although things like built in metronomes and crazy sounding kits can be fun. You will also probably want to hear how she is doing so a way to amplify it or at least plug a second pair of headphones in will be necessary. A cheap acoustic kit is probably better value for money and you can upgrade bit by bit - how much time is a seven year old going to spend drumming that you can't cope with the noise ? A flats kit might be worth considering. They pack up as small as electronic but quieter than full acoustic. Not very cheap new though but, again, you can upgrade bit by bit over the years if necessary.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Try to pick up a second hand Roland HD1 or HD3.  I drum as my main instrument and anyone that tells you those aren't good enough to learn and practise on is being unfair...great little kits and much quieter thanks to the lack of bass drum pad (it's a pedal instead) and mesh snare.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Thanks gents, I'll look into those options.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    If you do go acoustic, I got my little lads a Performance Percussion junior sized kit. Unlike the stuff from the toy shops, it's a fully functional, tuneable kit with a proper kick pedal and proper hi-hat stand, but half the size.  My boys are 2 and 3 and can't quite reach the kick pedal when sat on the stool yet, so would be fine for a 7 year old, although she might outgrow it fairly quickly.

I only paid £50 for a second hand one but think it's about £150 new.

I probably play it more than they do ;)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    My 7 year old is using an old Roland TD-3 which I traded with a mate for a guitar a while back.
    It's OK but I would say that she seems noticeably better when she's on the real kit up at the Music Studio where she has her lessons..
    thanks @mike257 and @DrBob.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    Electronic is infinitely more friendly in terms of noise levels for both yourselves and neighbours. Probably easier to shift if it doesn't stick as well!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    The problem with electronic drums, most of them are not full-size. You'll be crippling her technique right out the gate I think. You're better off getting a real kit and putting mesh heads or silencer pads on it imho. Cheaper too in a lot of cases.
    thanks everyone. appreciate the comments.