MIM strat bridge/trem upgrade suggestions?

What's Hot
I picked up a MIM strat (02/03) a few months back which I love, but the amount of play in the trem arm is stupid. Whats a decent upgrade for the bridge/trem? The block on the one I have at the mo is really thin. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Sadly the blocks are pretty poor quality, a great upgrade is a brass block with a decently machined insert for the trem arm and better arm.  It will put the trem up to VR or better specs and tone.
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    Ah so just get a new block and keep the same saddles etc rather than a whole new unit? Any recommendations as to where to get these blocks from? 
    Callaham in the US seem to be highly regarded, but a quick search on the 'bay should give you a few more options.  You can go the whole hog and change the plate and saddles but the stock Fender ones aren't bad, and they look right.  Be aware that the Mex bridges have a 2 1/16" string spacing and the US ones are a tad wider so you will need one specifically for a Mex bridge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Many thanks
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    +1 on the Callaham bridges. They *are* worth the money IMHO if you want traditional trem, but with a better tone and the arm not clanging about.
    I'd also check out the Wudtone unit - is signficantly cheaper than a Callaham and they appear well made in everything I've seen  from them. Drop in fit, if you order the right string spacing.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10347
    edited December 2013 tFB Trader
    All of the above ... or for silly cheap get a Wilkinson one. Proper steel block ... push in trem with adjustable stiffie ...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilkinson-WV6-Tremolo-for-Stratocaster-Steel-Block-/281142753600?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

There are various spacings available and they cost less than an evening down the pub ....
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I hummed and hahhed about Callahams for literally years but bit the bullet and ordered one back in February. It's every bit as good as the hype suggests.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited December 2013
    If you wanna support a UK company, Wudtone do a MIM spaced trem.  I have one and, although it won't be on a guitar till new year, can confirm it's amazingly well built.  They even ship them with Callaham saddles.  Well, if you can't beat them...

Might be worth a look in.

They also do blocks made from the same steel.  It's all UK steel, which is nice and the primary reason why I went for it (why import when you can get homegrown?).  It's well engineered, and although there is debate as to whether the original is fit for purpose or not (we'll not go into that) there is no doubt that this is an evolution of the original 6 point.  Comes with a little shim to reduce friction further (I'm going to put a teeny tiny drop of oil on mine as it'll get a shit storm of abuse). 

To further push you into this, he will give a full refund if you think it's not great.  So if you put it on and are not impressed with build, tone and stability, you send it back.  Not bad, really. 
    Apologies for not suggesting Wudtone, I'm still new here and have of course looked the threads about them. Buy British if you can!
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    I bought a very good steel block from a guy in Wales who makes them himself from same grade of steel as Callaham use.

His eBay ID is kevinh3324

He can fabricate for USA / Mexican and Japanese versions - send him your existing block and he'll copy it.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    I, too upgraded to a Callaham for MIM Frankenstrat.

Believe the hype!
    Thanks for the suggestions guys I like the look of the Wudtone stuff and I'm all for buying British...even though the strat is Mexican  :)) ... so I'll be looking into those
  • GazLion;98325" said:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys I like the look of the Wudtone stuff and I'm all for buying British...even though the strat is Mexican  :)) ... so I'll be looking into those
    If you want help fitting it or anything, Andy is a lovely bloke and amazingly patient, too. So don't be afraid to email him!