DOD BUZZ BOX

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
Went faulty on me tonight for the first time ever in 15 years of solid work.

Basically it's a fuzz/octave pedal and now when it's off it sounds like it's partially on. Switching it actually on works as always but playing with it off it absolutely incoherent.  

Any ideas what the fault may be? 

Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Any ideas anyone? 
  • Sounds like it's probably the switch relay? (There are others more qualified than me to say for sure).

If all else fails (and you can't find a replacement), you could put it in a true-bypass looper and leave it switched on, bypassing it with the looper.
    Cheers mate!

I'm wondering if I can try and fix that myself, highly likely not though. 
    Hhmmm, looks like I can't even begin to fix it, plus leaving a switch on isn't really an option due to board space. My mate who builds pedals from time to time is too busy building amazing guitars I think too. Does anyone have any ideas on who could fix it, or I might have to sell it for spares/repairs which would break my heart?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9653
    A quick google suggests that DOD pedals used a 4007U or 4007U chip to do the flip-flop switching. Equivalents to the 4007U seem to be available. Or maybe a diode or transistor around it? Sounds like a bit of a pain to troubleshoot.
    edited January 2014
    I'm going to cry my eyes out. I bought this new when I was 14 for £90. Sold it for £15 a few months later to my guitar teacher so I could go get smashed on cider with my mates. 

Fast forward 15 years and he eventually agrees to sell it back to me. He had barely used it, but over the last couple of years it's been invaluable to me. It's also a major part of my new band's two new eps.
  • Get it fixed then. It's priceless man! Just a good, competent amp technician should be able to work it out, and thanks to the shitty world that is 'boutique', schematics are readily available for a lot of circuits.
    My area is totally lacking in them too.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    edited January 2014
    Martin Owen is the man you want. I've sent a couple of pedals to him to repair and he fixed them and made them more robust.
    Cheers mate but that link seems out of date?
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    Deijavoo said:
    Cheers mate but that link seems out of date?

What do you mean? Works for me. You only need his email/phone number anyway.
    When I click it, the domestic n name is invalid. Mind you this website doesn't work very well on my android device anymore. :-(
    Thanks guys, but turns out a long time guitarer buddy of mine has started his own amp repair sideline and he's gonna sort it. Even fit a wee KLON buffer in it, change the power plug to a standard one instead of 1/8 jack and maybe stick a better built enclosure on it. I know all this reduces resale value but I never want to sell it.
  • That'll be awesome.  I've no idea what a Klon buffer is like, but many say it's the best.  If it's as good as the Visual Sound one, it's bloomin' great!
    have you heard one of these pedals before man?

• Deijavoo;131560" said:
    have you heard one of these pedals before man?

Holy cow! That's some mean fuzziness.
    They're proper rotters. I love it so much.

We tried it through my bass player's huge EBS rig with the octave turned up to full. It sounded like The Grim Reaper's pumps.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9653
    Sounds like something Devi Ever would come up with .
    Officially the worst selling pedal in DOD's history.

They called it BUZZ BOX for King Buzzo who actually knew fuck all about it's existence until it came out.
  • Just give it a few years and a boutique builder will remake it with true bypass (can't be bothered with a good buffer) and sell it for £250 because it's a 'rare, classic circuit'.

:)

It does actually sound mental. I don't know that I could get on with it, and I like mental!