Ramble FX Marvel Drive (MIAB)

What's Hot
photekphotek Frets: 1462
edited April 2016 in FX Reviews

Work In Progress....

Pedal Spec and Version options

Made by: Ramble FX
Pedal Model: Marvel Drive
Version: I have 2x Version 2 with version 3 on the way.

Version 1 has Master Volume, Normal Volume and High Treble Volume controls.
Version 2 adds a global Presence control.
Version 3 adds the option to run the pedal at 9v or 18v without a voltage doubler.

Background

So the search for my preferred Marshall in a Box has ended up here. Previous pedals have included: MI Audio Crunchbox, Several ZVEX Box of Rocks, Rothwell Hellbender and Switchblade, Fulltone OCD's, Suhr Riots, Bearfoot SYOD / Model H and Dyna Red, Carl Martin Plexitone big box and single, All of the Catalinbread DLS range, Lovepedal Amp 11, Menatone KOB, Rockett Flex Drive, Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde both versions, Wampler Plexi Drive and Pinnacles, XTS Atomic, All the Rockbox efforts, a few of the Weehbo JMP, JTM ones.... There are a lot more but that should cover the fact that I have tried a fair few :)

The Marvel Drive is for me the best of the bunch as it covers low, mid and high gain sounds equally well. from Just breaking up JTM up to flat out 800. I currently have 2 of them on my board one set up for lower gain crunch the other set for medium gain, for my lead sound I use a Lovepedal Hi Volt as it has a more saturated, less Marshally full blown lead sound plus a 3 band EQ so I can dial it for the lead tones in my head :)

I have been gigging for the last 10 or so years and pretty much always use a clean pedal platform with pedals for drive sounds. Amps have been Early Vertical input JCM800, Fender Quadreverb, 70's Pro Reverb, Tube Tone Supervibe (Super Reverb Clone) but I have set my current board up to be amp agnostic, I can sound pretty much the same through my Blackstar HT100, Victory V40, Marshall PA20 or a Fender Twin, not as cool as having a boutique amp but much easier than relying on the amp to do the business!

Switching and Power Options

The pedal has one the fancy soft / momentary type switches so it doesn't clunk when you step on it. This is great however if you use a programmable true bypass switcher like me then each time you power up the pedal it defaults to off meaning I have to remember to switch it on or I risk stepping on my switcher expecting a lovely Marshall snarl and actually getting a clean signal (yuck!). I emailed Ramble FX about this and the posted me a replacement chip which defaults the pedal to on. They charged me 1$ including shipping. That is what I call good customer service!

I originally ran the pedal on normal 9v and was really happy. When I got a second one I tried it using a voltage doubler up to 18v and it makes a really noticable difference; less gain, more body and a touch more open sounding. V3 of the pedal has this option switchable without the need to purchase a seperate voltage doubler and I think that is a really useful option to have. I still like my other one to run at 9v as it sounds a bit more saggy / gainy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got a clone pcb on my desk halfway through being put in a box. Must get it finished...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i played the white one not sure on the version but it is a serious good pedal , used it into a matchless dc30 and a fender landau diville it sounded incredable , was bought by a friend in the mesa boogie shop in hollywood, 
    the guy said loads of big name players been buying it and love the pedal .
    i had never heard of them but definatly sounded top class
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Great pedal, easily the best of the bunch by a long way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    Where do I get my hands on one of these ?
  • http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/ramble-fx-marvel-drive-3-blk.html

This looks like the new version of the pedal, it says they are expecting it back in stock on the10th March. 

Just got my hands on one. Was wondering how you set yours up.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1462
    markj said:
    Just got my hands on one. Was wondering how you set yours up.
    I had one set with the master volume up high and the 2 channel volumes set to just broken up (bright channel a bit higher as my amp was quite dark sounding), the other was set with both drives at 2/3 and the volume at unity.

What amp were you using?
    I'm using a H&K Puretone head and 2x12 cab. I've put the pedal up for sale here on this forum, it's a great pedal but I don't think it's for me.
    I loved it through my puretone as long as the amp wasn't clipping too much and the growl control was set low.
    I found the pedal a little bit fizzy, that I don't like.
  • Cortex85Cortex85 Frets: 10
    I found it fizzy as well, and also that it lacks mids.
    edited August 2017
    Cortex85 said:
    What amp were you using, all 5 of the ones I had were the polar opposite of fizzy unless I intentionally maxed the treble & presence?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Yeah, I must say I thought it sounded great - not fizzy at all.

However, I got my Helix shortly after the Marvel Drive and I've not used it since - I suppose I should sell...

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cortex85Cortex85 Frets: 10
    photek said:
    Cortex85 said:
    What amp were you using, all 5 of the ones I had were the polar opposite of fizzy unless I intentionally maxed the treble & presence?
    Been a while ago so I might have substituted grain for fizz in my mind. I like my ODs really polished and smooth, am probably not the best guy to talk about MIAB pedals when I think about it. But it definitely lacked mids, it was on my buddies board who has 4-5 ODs on there (I think it was a Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe, Zendrive, Soul Food, and two more) and the Marvel sounded distant and would just disappear in a band mix. I attended his rehearsal that day and he switched between a LP and a tele so I could hear the pedal in action. Until that day I was really into it previously having listened to YT demos and whatnot, but I quickly forgot about it after that rehearsal.
    It's hard to do a Marshall sound in a box.
    Cortex85 said:
    photek said:
    Cortex85 said:
    Been a while ago so I might have substituted grain for fizz in my mind. I like my ODs really polished and smooth, am probably not the best guy to talk about MIAB pedals when I think about it. But it definitely lacked mids, it was on my buddies board who has 4-5 ODs on there (I think it was a Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe, Zendrive, Soul Food, and two more) and the Marvel sounded distant and would just disappear in a band mix. I attended his rehearsal that day and he switched between a LP and a tele so I could hear the pedal in action. Until that day I was really into it previously having listened to YT demos and whatnot, but I quickly forgot about it after that rehearsal.
    It's hard to do a Marshall sound in a box.
    Agreed, it does have less of a mid hump that other pedals like the zendrive. I actually think grainy is a good word to describe it, textured sort of sound. I also agree it is hard to capture that Marshall sound in a pedal, there are so many variables, Marvel have done a great job with this one in my opinion, best of the bunch if you are using a clean amp.
    I have a Wampler Plexi drive on my board at the moment, far better to my ears than the Marvel drive. It gives me the thick  fat low overdrive that I was looking for.
    markj said:
    I have a Wampler Plexi drive on my board at the moment, far better to my ears than the Marvel drive. It gives me the thick  fat low overdrive that I was looking for.
    I am with you on that, the Wampler is very good indeed particulary at the very low gain stuff. I am quite keen to try the Carl Martin Low Gain Plexitone as well, demo's sound superb.
  • @photek have you tried the Bogner la grange pedal?
    My Trading Feedback Link is here i_b_tulloch

@photek have you tried the Bogner la grange pedal?
    I haven’t mate, I think @simonbeckwith has owned both though have you Si?