Another effect question - is there a small volume box that can be controlled by an expression pedal?

Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Is there a small volume pedal box that can be controlled by an expression pedal? I'm looking at adding a Source Audio Reflex to my setup to control things like delay times and tremolo speed rate, but if I do that then I'd like to move away from my Ernie Ball volume pedal if possible.

I only ever use my volume pedal for one song, but it is a song that cannot be played easily without one!! So I'm looking at alternative options. Don't really want an expression pedal, volume pedal, and wah pedal on the floor if I can help it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28093
    edited March 2016
    I think you might be able to do this on the Reflex itself - the third expression out is 50k which is about the same as a lot of keyboard volume pedals. So if you're doing it after something buffered I'd think it'd work OK. And assuming you only need two of the expression outputs for other stuff. Then you'd have a preset that just controlled that one expression output for when you wanted volume control.

I could try it here if you like, You'd need a break-in/out cable/box but that'd be very cheap - must be half a dozen people here who could make that for you, or there's the likes of Bright Onion et al.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    The moog boost pedal allows this as the volume is controllable by expression pedal.

It also means you could turn it into a tremolo by getting the reflex' internal LFO to manipulate the amount.

It's also a cracking boost pedal.
  • Best one is Sound Sculpture Volcano.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited March 2016
    The moog boost pedal allows this as the volume is controllable by expression pedal.

It also means you could turn it into a tremolo by getting the reflex' internal LFO to manipulate the amount.
    Holy shit... that *could* be exactly what I'm looking for!

Ahhh hold on though.. I was planning on having the 'tremolo' in the effects loop of an EHX Super Ego... so it probably wont work for both situations... unless.... *hmmmm chinstrokey*
    Drew_fx said:

Holy shit... that *could* be exactly what I'm looking for!

Ahhh hold on though.. I was planning on having the 'tremolo' in the effects loop of an EHX Super Ego... so it probably wont work for both situations... unless.... *hmmmm chinstrokey*
    I'm going to say the bright onion switcher thing could be the job, you could move the boost in and out of the super egos fx loop to inline.

problem there is that you are then gaining a pedal - the option could be to use the same bright onion switcher that has a toggle rather than a FS and mount it on the underside of the board, lined up with a gap in the rail, so that you could adjust as required between songs. I suppose it depends on space and if you want to use the volume swell and tremolo at the same time.

What you do get though is an amazingly versatile tremolo. That moog boost is perfect to be used with a reflex or an EHX 8 step!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I might be wrong but I think the problem with the Moog will be that you have to have the boost on to then use it as a volume pedal. The Vertex boost uses the expression pedal as a passive volume when the boost is bypassed and to control the boost when it's on. Quite an expensive solution though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Yes the moog needs to be on iirc
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28093
    I just tried using the Exp3 connection on the Reflex and it does work as a volume control. Also as a tremolo if you control it with an LFO.This was by using a TRS to 2xTS cable between my Helix send & return 1 and the Reflex EXP3, then a patch that just had a send/return block (no control), and settting EXP3 to a taper or an LFO.

I think there was a touch of top-end loss though I'm not 100% certain it wasn't just a bit of level loss as I didn't have the treadle all the way forward. It was pretty subtle but audible when bypassing/activating the send/return block.

If you only need it for one song then just set up a preset for it, then all other presets have EXP3 with max and min set to 127.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887

Drew,

The very best solution to me would be to get something like (top end) an Eclipse or (lower end) TC G Major 2 and use all the onboard trems and delays on that, and then use the exp in as a vol.

A Lexicon MPX110 will also do it and are as cheep as chips.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I wondered if the Sonuus Voluum would cover your volume and tremolo needs, although you'd still need a separate expression pedal. Very clever tremolo and you were looking for one of those, the volume effects (and compression) almost a bonus. Bit big but it looks like a volume pedal from the Star Wars cantina. Mr @sonuus is on here somewhere. Oh, the upgraded version works as a tuner too so that's another pedal covered.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SonuusSonuus Frets: 36
    Yes, I'm here :-) Any questions on the @sonuus Voluum, just ask.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Soul press?
    Tiny and does all 3
  • I might be wrong but I think the problem with the Moog will be that you have to have the boost on to then use it as a volume pedal. The Vertex boost uses the expression pedal as a passive volume when the boost is bypassed and to control the boost when it's on. Quite an expensive solution though.
    The Moog MF Boost does need to be on in order for the EXP to be functional.

Our Boost will allow the volume or EXP pedal connected to the boost to function up to unity gain when the boost is off while still isolating the impedance of the chosen volume pedal or EXP (so still no tone suck or change as a result of using a volume control), and will control the boosted output level up to where the level pot is set when the boost is engaged.  In all settings the volume pedal will always taper down to completely silent.

Kind regards,

Mason J. Marangella
    Vertex Effects, Inc.
    mason@vertexeffects.com