Line 6 POD HD Pro X......... or something else?

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5629
Been looking at one for a while now and thinking of pulling the trigger.  It's seems like a decent unit?

Before I do, are there any other contenders that I should be looking at as well?

I want something that I can use as an audio interface with Logic Pro X as well as something that I could possibly plug into a power amp and a couple of small cabs and gig with.

As far as using it as an audio interface, will I be able to use it as my main playback device, i.e. Mac > Pod > Monitors and hear my mix - that make sense?

If there are any other devices I should be considering then please let me know?

Sincere thanks in advance.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Budget?
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    Around £600 ish - certainly not knocking on the door of anything like the Axe FX unfortunately  

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    Axe fx ultra sold last week on ebay for £620. Perhaps worth a wait for another bargain like this?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=272217594292&alt=web
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Amplifire and a focus rite 2i4 would be my option
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    KrisGee said:
    Axe fx ultra sold last week on ebay for £620. Perhaps worth a wait for another bargain like this?

I could be wrong, but I didn't think the Ultra could be used as an audio interface. 

I'd be included to go Amplifire and get a soundcard for recording.
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    Does it have to be a rack? The HD500X is pretty much the same product as the Pro X and usually a lot cheaper.
    Never heard of the amplifire device, will have to check it out.

I would prefer something designed to be used not at floor level. I know you're not forced to use floor mounted stuff on the floor but my personal experience is that they're cumbersome to use.

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    monquixote;1058233" said:
    KrisGee said:

I could be wrong, but I didn't think the Ultra could be used as an audio interface. 

I'd be included to go Amplifire and get a soundcard for recording.
    No idea to be honest. They all look the same to me ;)
    However pretty sure in that case they can be combined with a focusrite interface which can be had cheap second hand?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    If you fancy an Ultra I've got one collecting dust
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Mr_BluesmanMr_Bluesman Frets: 49
    edited May 2016
    I have the dream rig for sale if you're interested, you can use the pod as an interface or use the emulated out of the amp itself. Only difference between hd500 and hd500x is the x has slightly more memory. http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/41884/line-6-dream-rig-dt-25-head-cab-pod-hd500-l6-link-cable#latest Or a Boss GT100 which allows reamping which I've done in Logic Pro X http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72818/fs-boss-gt100#latest
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The Amplifire cannot act as a soundcard in the same way as the POD HD Pro X. I have the older Pod HD Pro and for recording it sounds great - lots of amps which, can be added to via some model packs, dual amps, plus round the back there are loads of connections including a stereo FX loop if you want to use pedals.

What type of tone are you after?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!

@Mr_Bluesman - thanks very big for the offer but at the moment I'm just interested in modelling device (whichever is best) at the moment.

@Roland - I would have to research the Ultra before I could say whether or not it would be what I wanted but as I understand it, it isn't usable as a stand alone recording interface so it's probably unlikely I would be interested.  Thank you though all the same.

@Fretwired - thanks for your comment, that's interesting.  Can you monitor the mix via the POD HD Pro if you plug in a set of powered studio monitors to the outputs?  I assume you can but can't hurt to have that verified.  As for tone, I want lots of different tones, clean tones are a high priority as are some bluesy bassman tones.  The one tone I would love to achieve on the high gain end of things would be to nail Lifeson's tone as heard on A show of Hands - I'm probably alone in this regard but it would work well for a lot of my stuff.

Thanks again. 

@Haych .. the POD can become your PC's audio interface which can work with any recording software. Just connect a set of powered monitors.

Check this out:

Thanks @Fretwired, that was most helpful.

During my lunch break I popped into my local PMT store to see what they had that I could demo. When I explained what I wanted to the assistant in the shop he told me that he didn't believe the POD HD Pro could be used as an audio interface but also that I would get better results using software amps and a good Thunderbolt audio interface!

More confused than ever now.

Funny though, he didn't have a POD HD Pro X in stock but he did have Apogee and Focusrite thunderbolt interfaces in stock. Hmm, I wonder if that was somehow connected to his advice?

Haych said:
    Thanks @Fretwired, that was most helpful.

During my lunch break I popped into my local PMT store to see what they had that I could demo. When I explained what I wanted to the assistant in the shop he told me that he didn't believe the POD HD Pro could be used as an audio interface but also that I would get better results using software amps and a good Thunderbolt audio interface!

More confused than ever now.

Funny though, he didn't have a POD HD Pro X in stock but he did have Apogee and Focusrite thunderbolt interfaces in stock. Hmm, I wonder if that was somehow connected to his advice?
    @Haych .. trust me the POD is an audio interface ... I record direct from it into Cubase. Pop over to the Line 6 forum and ask the pros or order one and try it yourself - you can always return it.

Thanks @Fretwired - I think the POD HD Pro X will probably win, but won't be getting one through PMT, lol.