NGD Collings - Another Day In Paradise (Coda)

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9563
edited May 2016 in Guitar
Well, I was very fortunate to catch our Doug before his ball-breaking cycle tour in Belgium...

M1 closed for long periods, I headed down the A1 and into the promised land of Coda Music. Is there really a better
music store in the UK ?!?

The primary purpose was for an acoustic, but I was casting lusty glances across at the Carr Lincoln, which I did play.

Very very impressive. I meant to try all manner of amps, but that will wait for another day methinks... as I soon headed with Doug across to the Coda Acoustic Shop. Rammed full of glory.

I was mainly interested in Collings, Martin and Lowden. I played about 6 million of each. The Lowden had that Celtic twang and sustained for ever. Loved em. But the traditional 000/OM kept calling me back.

Early and strong contenders were the Collings C10, Martin 00028V (I think) and the Martin Authentic 1933. Then everything in the Lowden range !! 

Eventually it was down to two mahogany models...

More to follow after some hotel food :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9563
    This is a Collings OM1 Mahogany top and sides, Adirondack braces, custom sunburst and tortoiseshell binding.

Full spec;

Mahogany Top 

Adirondack Spruce Braces

Mahogany back & sides

Tortoise-style binding

Simple walnut backstrip

Black/white wood nitrate strip rosette

Tortoise-style pickguard

High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish

Ebony fingerboard and bridge

Ebony peghead overlay

Inlaid Collings Logo

Fully adjustable truss rod

Bone nut and drop-in saddle

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/FullSizeRender_15.jpg

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/FullSizeRender 3.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    That looks lovely. What is it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarpologuitarpolo Frets: 120
    Looks great. Coda's number 1 shopper strikes again!
    There were two mahogany....

This one with additional options of sunburst finish, mahogany top, 1 3/4 Nut, Tortoise-style binding to headstock and neck.

A second had the shorter scale with a deeper body. Both very very close, but the finish in this one (longer scale) swung it and was worth the extra.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I'm not normally a fan of body or neck binding but that tortoise shell looks stunning.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I feel a bit less guilty now!
    Looks stunning.
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Always amuses me somewhat when manufacturers list "fully adjustable truss rod" as a selling point. Other than nylon strung guitars, are there many/any guitars without that feature now?

Looks like a lovely instrument by the way. I've yet to try a Collings to see what all the fuss is about. I fear I'd want one if I did.
    Always amuses me somewhat when manufacturers list "fully adjustable truss rod" as a selling point. Other than nylon strung guitars, are there many/any guitars without that feature now?

Looks like a lovely instrument by the way. I've yet to try a Collings to see what all the fuss is about. I fear I'd want one if I did.
    Slippy slope Dan, slippy slope ;)
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    Looks lovely mate! Welcome to the club :)
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    Did you play anything by Waterloo?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    @wazmeister - That looks awesome - I've been looking at a potential order on a similar Collings mahogany in sunburst - Om model - again with shell binding - Looking at a shorter scale length and the option to replicate my i35LC neck profile - In short I want it to feel as close to my i35 as possible with a slick 'sissy' playing action - Have yet to finalise this and take the appropriate plunge
    Plukky;1067133" said:
    Did you play anything by Waterloo?
    I did play the Waterloo and had tried them previously. Stripped back and basic but surprisingly good. Well worth trying along with the the Martin Black Smoke
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    Looks great, congrats! Love the binding.

Had quite a few Collings, took me a long time to realise they were not quite what I want in an acoustic, but they are fabulous instruments and built to last forever. Highly addictive due to the lovely neck profiles, perfect playability, phenomenal workmanship and most of all the incredible volume.

I managed to get through the following  :-O

D2H (Sitka/Rw)
    D3 (Sitka/Rw)
    CJSB (Short Scale)
    CJMH (All hog)
    CJ35
    C10 (Adi/Rw)
    OM2HRASB (Honduran/Adi)
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    gorgeous!
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    Congrats @Wazmeister, that looks beautiful!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Lincoln & why you didn't come home with one of those, too.

guitars4you;1067144" said:
    @wazmeister - That looks awesome - I've been looking at a potential order on a similar Collings mahogany in sunburst - Om model - again with shell binding - Looking at a shorter scale length and the option to replicate my i35LC neck profile - In short I want it to feel as close to my i35 as possible with a slick 'sissy' playing action - Have yet to finalise this and take the appropriate plunge
    edited May 2016
    Mark,

My poor 'staying-in-a-hotel' quick photos do not do the Collings justice; the tortoiseshell is truly beautiful.

Now, the warmth and the Adirondack bracing are a lovely combination. I played every 000/OM Collings in there (about 10 of them ?) including a german topped £6000 OM3. It  was instantly the ‘warmth’ and ‘sweetness’ of the Hogs that captured me.

The other short scale bigger bodied maybe had the edge sound-wise; fantastic bass, but not quite as sweet as mine.

It was the finish and the looks that won me over in the end.

breadfan said:
    Congrats @Wazmeister, that looks beautiful!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Lincoln & why you didn't come home with one of those, too.
    @breadfan - well mate, I arrived at Coda about 12.30 and had to be on the road again by 3.30pm latest...

So, I had very little time, and did spend 2-3 hours in the acoustic shop.

But, I did play the Lincoln. 
    My initial thoughts were that the drive (channel 2) was absolutely amazing. Very very powerful, loud and crisp OD, that worked very well at low volumes too. The 6w setting was incredible.

The clean channel was good, but not Rambler good. But was it ever going to be THAT good, and that is not the purpose of the amp.
    I'm fairly certain that I'll buy one of these...

With my Matchless Lightning sale pending, I will have to revisit the Coda amp section very soon :)