Malmsteen on how to play fast

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
as far as instruction goes, nothing to see here.

but

I am mesmerized by how little his right hands moves and how relaxed it is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Put a cushion beneath your chin before checking out Chris Brooks and Rick Graham on YouTube lest you injure yourself, then.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    I saw Malmsteen close up live at the Marquee in London many years ago. At the time I couldn't correlate how fast he sounded, whilst not looking like he was playing fast.

Another things that impressed me (but I suspect now that it was part of his stage act) was that his guitar tech strummed his guitar before he came on and it was wildly out of tune. The band launched into the first number and I was thinking this is going to be way out of tune. Anyway he hit the guitar and tuned it on the fly in an instant. I've never seen anyone tune a guitar that fast.

It's not a competition.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    edited May 2016
    Whenever I see an Yngwie instructional video  I am minded of 

I saw him at the Astoria years back and it is the only paid gig I have ever walked out of. Amazingly impressive but after 40mins is boring as hell. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I think that video is spot on.  He is really honest about his playing and what he does and always uses and what drives him and he seems like no bullshit kind of fella.  I don't get the grudge, he isn't trying to be impressive at all, it's all common sense and fairly easy to follow if you listen, I mean unless you are a moron or something.  His stuff is kind of boring and on the line, but it's easy to follow because it's almost all based on method.  He's not outside the box creative or geniusly rhythmically talented like EVH or something, he just wanted a certain sound and it was very new at the time.  He really is one of the easiest players to understand, but obviously the rest is practice.  He's a great musician.  Don't get the resentment.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    A big part of the problem is that many don't get his sense of humour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Reverend said:
    +1

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    Reverend;1088819" said:
    I have it on good authoritah that this is tongue in cheek - he's such a hoot. Love him :) :
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    Hes one of the few "fast " players i can listen to ...he has loads of feel as well as speed..
  • At fear of a permaban (Sorry!) listen to his covers album, Inspiration....
    Brilliant.
    Gates of Babylon and Dead of night... Woah.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 446
    Amazing technique and brilliant showman. 

Saw him at the Jim Marshall tribute gig a few years back and he was absolutely fantastic to watch. Still rocking the skin tight leather, foot on the monitor, head back, eyes closed - proper 80's cheese!

Sonically though after a few minutes I was spent. I appreciate what he does, but it isn't for me.

Almost as entertaining as him though was watching his guitar tech, who was a complete nervous wreck - especially when he had to catch Yngwie's guitar after he'd lobbed it over his head. 

As an aside that gig was a pretty lame tribute to the Godfather of Loud. Dr Jim deserved better than that.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited June 2016
    Was watching some of Troy Grady's stuff and it appears that Yngwie and Eric Johnston have exactly the same picking technique and use the same approaches when navigating string changes. Who'd have thought it eh?
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    viz said:
    Reverend;1088819" said:
    I have it on good authoritah that this is tongue in cheek - he's such a hoot. Love him :) :
    That's quite a Spinal Tap quote from him at the end. 
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Just finished his autobiography. I'm not a huge Yngwie fan despite admiring his abilities and owning some of his back catalogue. But the book is a great read, very interesting.
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Just finished his autobiography. I'm not a huge Yngwie fan despite admiring his abilities and owning some of his back catalogue. But the book is a great read, very interesting.
    As above so below is a much better book,

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I wanna get both, for both sides of the picture.

Signed, an Yng fanboi.

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I saw him at a clinic thing at the Guitar Institute in London years ago and he was awesome. Long time ago - he had a can of beer and smoked for most of the clinic, which I don't think he'd get away with now :)