Kick pedals

@Octatonic and others

Looking at kick pedals. I've played DW9000's and they're bloody lovely... but way too expensive for us. Got a Tama Iron Cobra and it's crap. So looking for suggestions for replacing it. Would like a double kick pedal if possible, but can stick with a single if needs be. Want a dual chain one, rather than a single. Want it be responsive enough for heel-toe technique, and quick 8th and 16th note combinations.

Are the cheaper models like Millennium just utter garbage?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    My old drummer used to swear by the pearl eliminator. Dunno what it's like price wise, but he had one for years and abused the shit out of it!!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited May 2016
    Get the Speed Cobra double.
    They are great and relatively cheap.

I have a DW9000 double at the moment- it is a solid piece of engineering but I actually think the Speed Cobra is better.
    There is a bit of a technique limitation with the DW9k's- it is fine for heal/toe but once you go beyond that there are some techniques that are made more difficult by the DW footplate style.

At some stage I'll be picking up a Speed Cobra- probably a month or so. 

I actually have a Pearl Demon Drive single pedal for sale if you are interested here.

• GuitarAndy2GuitarAndy2 Frets: 23
    I'd suggest looking at the PDP equivalent model if you like the DW, usually not that much of a step down, just far eastern construction to reduce overall costs.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited May 2016
    I'd suggest looking at the PDP equivalent model if you like the DW, usually not that much of a step down, just far eastern construction to reduce overall costs.
    The PDP concept is a big step down from the DW9000.
    You don't get the ability to adjust the cam from turbo to accelerator, you don't have much adjustment and it doesn't feel nearly as solid.

They aren't bad pedals though, but nowhere close to the DW9000.

If on a budget then look at Yamaha pedals.
    They are hugely underrated.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    Don't laugh but thomanns own brand pro series pedals are not to be sniffed at. My son"s teacher agrees that pretty much all of the pro series hardware is unbeatable
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I'm a big fan of Gibraltar pedals
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Always thought the Iron Cobra was decent myself. I've got a 4000 and a 5000 here, both feel fine to me but don't have the same degree of adjustment available as the higher end ones.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Our drummer has an iron cobra and I quite like it, way easier to use than my cheapo one (mapex I think). Never tried any of the DW ones though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ