Pub gigs - are you micing up?

What's Hot
jesonejesone Frets: 60
Are you micing up everything for pubs gigs or just vocals?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    We always mic the kick drum, and use an overhead to balance the drums to the venue. Sax is DI'd. Everyone else uses a small back line, and DI's from that
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356

Guitars are always mic'ed so is kick drum no matter how small the place is. Keys are DI'ed through PA. For bigger pubs and clubs the  toms are individually mic'ed and we use a couple of overheads as well
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Vocals and kick drum, that's it for most pubs.

• nickpnickp Frets: 182
    nope - but generally the pubs aren't that big - maybe average 100 punters.

the bigger venues we do struggle as the volumes do get a bit much and the limiting factor is of course how loud the drumbber is.

would like to do it for bigger pubs but imho it probably isn't worth the aggro for the fairly low money involved (£200 round our way)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    No. But arguably we aren't very professional... :( There's an attempt to get a balanced sound and vocals and keys (and guest sax if we have that) go through the PA. If we play anywhere larger than a pub then they haven't wanted much volume (eg party) or its been somewhere with own PA. Possibly we should have a decent sized PA and everything through that but it ain't going to happen.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    Yep, always mic'ed up regardless of venue, on stage volume is generally fairly low, but then we are using IEM for monitoring.

We play all sizes, played a packed 200+ punter pub on Saturday, a fairly empty club yesterday afternoon (paid practice LOL) and Cardiff Walkabout next Friday which as I remember is absolutely mahoosive!!!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Vocals, kick and overhead/snare only in pubs for us. I don't generally get a monitor as I'm not allowed to sing ;) .
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    Vocals only for us. Our ageing pa wont handle much else and we don't gig often enough to make the investment in new gear.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    mudslide73;1082577" said:
    Vocals, kick and overhead/snare only in pubs for us. I don't generally get a monitor as I'm not allowed to sing ;) .
    I do shouty bv 's and sometimes harmonica. I can just about hear myself in the out front speakers. The wedge monitors in small spaces caused a lot of feedback issues (and harmonica is a pig for this) so we have one back but the drummist and one by the keyboardist and no monitors up front and even our singer doesn't miss them.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jesonejesone Frets: 60
    Cheers chaps

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6433
    We don't do a lot of pub gigs, but we always mic up - Party for the in-ear monitoring but partly to keep the onstage volume down.

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    Vocals, acoustic, and my electric guitar just for spread of sound not volume. Keys dependant on who plays and what gear they bring. 
    Drummer,we have Mic'd him up about 5-6 times over last 8 years. And it was first time for him, yet he had been playing since mid 60's!. 
    I think it depends more on type of music you are putting out than actual volume at times.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Everything mic'd. Not everything gets put through the PA but having our own sound man means that he can adjust anything to suit the room and how it evolves over a gig.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 446
    edited May 2016
    Only done 2 gigs with a 3rd imminent....

1st one we didn't mic anything.

2nd one we'd bought our PA (2 subs & 2 tops) and SM57s and mic'd everything - drums are an electric kit so went straight to the PA.
    Sound improvement was huge but monitoring was an issue.

For our next gig we will be mic'd & through the PA, but will have amps low volume and all wearing IEMs (wired though, which could be interesting!) We now rehearse with IEMs and are finding it really helpful in getting things dialled in. Also a great wake up call wiyth regards to what we really sound like.

The goal for us is wireless, but need to start earning from our gigs to pay for it.

Can't see us ever not mic'ing up though. I'm a massive fan of the electric drum kit as it means we choose what stage level we play at. 
  • velvetsky01velvetsky01 Frets: 71

yep vocals and drums miced - Snare, a tom drum and kick drum all miced

that's enough for most places we play

Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    edited May 2016
    For those who Mic everything , have you considered just going going 100% digital and forget amps altogether?

I saw a band in my local a few months ago who did this with guitars and bass and mic'd drums. 
    The guitarist's both used Line 6 HD500''s straight into the desk.
    The sound was very polished but somehow lacked any soul.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356

With a digital desk you can actually use Amplitube, Avid 11 or Waves GT etc straight on a laptop. Basically the signal from the guitar hits the desk, gets routed to the laptop DAW, goes through the plugin and then goes back to the desk channel. Latency with a QU and Mac is next to nothing. So you can do a gig with nothing other than guitars, bass and the desk and laptop. We have rehearsed a few times in this fashion. 

For me though a small amp mic'ed up isn't much hassle and some of the guys I work with who don't use ears need that familiar backline sound behind them. I imagine that will change in the next 10 years or so though as the younger guys come through
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    If we're bringing our own PA then we only put vocals through.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    We normally put guitars through for spread of sound and then various other bits of the band depending on venue size and how much of the PA we bring.

We haven't mic'd for a while though; I use either a Radial JDX or Palmer PDI09 and the other guy uses the Joyo clone (which appears to be a hybrid of the Radial and Palmer).
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Id love to put more through to get better control but I think the general wisdom is that you need subs to cope with with instruments. We only have a pair of tops currently.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ