Apogee Mic 96k for cab micing

mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
edited May 2016 in Studio & Recording
Hi guys
Am getting back into some recording. Last time I did it I was using a Tascam 4 track take home studio and an old Spirit mic! Does anyone know if the Apogee Mic 96k is any good for micing a guitar cab? I know it's forte is vocals and more acoustic instruments with lower sound pressure levels but just wondered if anyone knew! Going to be using it with GarageBand (and maybe logic later) on my Mac.
Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Will it work? Probably. Is it the best choice for a guitar cab? Probably not - but just give it a try and you never know, you may really like the sound! The alternative is spending several hundreds of pounds on other kit. On the other hand, you might be looking for a justification for spending several hundred pounds on recording gear, in which case ... it definitely won't work.

Hope that helps.
    :)

PS I usually use guitar rig for recording guitars at home, I know it's not the same as playing through a real amp but it sounds better than I could get it using a mic in the house. And the neighbours like it too... 
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Cheers mate. I have Apogee's Jam which is good as a simple guitar interface for GarageBand. The amp sims are not great but very usable for demoing. Just looking to be able to track over the demos with my amps.
    I think it's probably worth a go as not a massive outlay and it seems good for vocals anyway.
    Thanks for the input :-)
    You <might> be able to plug a dynamic mic into the Apogee (eg your old Spirit mic if you still have it ) which might be better for micing up a guitar cab. I keep a crappy dynamic which came with a Karaoke machine and has a jack plug on the end for quick and dirty recording.