MAKING SOME LPJ DC's

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665

I think pear is a bloody close substitute for holly.   Its not uncommon to see a pear like pink tinge on stripped gibsons.  possibly rom the age and finishing /stripping processes

One of those details that it makes no sense to give any real thought since the woods are quite similar in the dimensions needed and colour is totally unimportant.

not like ebony, which could be seen as an actual upgrade

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2347
    tFB Trader
     I got a wee bit distracted today, so didn’t actually get much done to the LPJ’s. I did manage to cut up the rest of the mahogany ready to glue up the next batch of necks. I got three of the necks ready for shaping, hopefully that will be done tomorrow.

The main distraction was that solid rosewood neck I clued up last week. I decided the bandsaw it too shape then machine it to see what it was looking like. Then decided I had to shape the back of the neck get an idea what it looked like then I could check it over to see if there were any cracks. It’s looking pretty good and there are no cracks visible. I won’t do any more to it now I but move it around between the two workshops and back into my house so it goes through several temperature changes. The idea being if there are any cracks then the change of temperature and humidity will make any visible.

First thing tomorrow I will off on a wood buying expedition, Dougie of Black Machine has told me where there is some good quality Swamp Ash. I’ve telephone the company and they still have about 20 bodies left in stock. Unfortunately the price of the one-piece bodies is horrendous, the two-piece bodies are still a lot more then I’ve been paying but if the wood is good then you have to pay the price.

Photos of the rosewood neck. I have  put some lemon oil on the neck to see what it will look like.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Great work as usual Graham. Be interested to know what sort of price a rosewood neck would go for :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3041
    I've just finished painting and assembling one of Graham's single-cut guitars. 

That looks superb.

What sort of price is a DC in the same colour going to be?

R.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Graham, I thought you said you were retiring, not making more guitars
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    tFB Trader
    I am trying to retire but people keep ordering the guitars. Every time I go out to David Dykes I see beautiful wood I've just got to turn into a guitar. But in all seriousness the guitars I'm selling through the forum are financing the guitars I'm making for the chicken shed.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7022
    tFB Trader
    That looks superb.

What sort of price is a DC in the same colour going to be?
    Thanks @robinbowes I have no plans to paint a(nother) DC TV Model but maybe someone else might?
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    ...........I have no plans to paint a(nother) DC TV Model but maybe someone else might?
    Gowannnn, gowannn, gowannnnn....

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    tFB Trader
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    Cherry single cut.......is of interest.
    edited June 2016 tFB Trader

I’ve been asked how much a rosewood neck similar to the one that I photographed would cost, to be honest I don’t really know. But I would have thought having asked the price of rosewood blanks I would need to make them, it would be in the region of £220, I don’t know if that’s a competitive price not. I don’t think I would make them any less than that.

The postman just delivered, six sets of P90 pickups courtesy of Dave Walsh of Internal Guitars / Hot Rod pickups. Some of these I purchased and some have been donated by Dave for my Chicken Shed builds.

A big thank you to Dave very much appreciated.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960

see those plain wrap over bridges..yeah?

how are they with the intonation compared tae the wrap over lightning bar?

tae be or not tae be
    tFB Trader
    If you're using a plain wrap over bridge the Intonation is always gonna be a bit of a compromise. If you want perfect Intonation on all strings then you need a wrap over bridge that has individual saddles that can be adjusted. The link shows a good variety of different types of bridge that you can use on Les Paul Junior's.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    as you know the lightning bars does not have individual saddles but I was wondering if it was more accurate than the plain wrap over bar?
    tae be or not tae be
    tFB Trader
    I'm not familiar with the lightning bars so I can't really answer your question .

I forgot to put a post up about the Swampash I went to see Tuesday, I did in fact by a lot . It was a good quality and some of it is looking very good quality, the only frightening thing about it, the price was a bit high to say the leased. In fact Swampash is now more expensive than African mahogany and almost as expensive as Brazilian mahogany. Unfortunately this means I'm going to have to revise my pricelist . But the good news is I'm just about to get in the car and go away till next Monday .

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Incredible work as always Grahame!
    What's the story with the flametop standard in the background?
    tFB Trader
    As I said it was just a teaser, as there are several people who have got bad backs looking for a very light weight Les Paul standard. This particular guitar won't be built for some time as my workload at the moment is a bit high to say the least, but I'm sure I will get round to it in a few months there are in fact two of these Les Paul's the other one as more of a quilt cap then the one pictured .

tFB Trader
    hootsmon said:

see those plain wrap over bridges..yeah?

how are they with the intonation compared tae the wrap over lightning bar?

Probably better. A plain wrapover intonates pretty much spot on, surprisingly enough.

You can get "intonated" bars http://www.mojoaxe.com/ but I'm not sure they are any better. I've got one here though that I'm going to try.

The main difference between the solid bar and the "lightning" bridge is that the former requires the posts to be offset in the body (bass further back) whereas for the latter the posts are equidistant from the nut. For this reason they are not interchangeable on a guitar and you need to decide which you want before the post holes are drilled.