MAKING SOME LPJ DC's

What's Hot

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader
    The Billy Bo guitar is finished. The body of the guitar is made from a 1 piece of mahogany with a Flame Maple cap. The body is fully chambered. The neck is three-piece quarter sawn mahogany with an ebony fingerboard with gold frets, the headstock has an ebony veneer. The body and neck have cream-coloured bindings. The guitar weight is 4lb 3oz.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The Rosewood neck is also finished.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2371
    Amazing! - Very much looking forward to mine :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    GSPBASSES said:
    The Billy Bo guitar is finished. The body of the guitar is made from a 1 piece of mahogany with a Flame Maple cap. The body is fully chambered. The neck is three-piece quarter sawn mahogany with an ebony fingerboard with gold frets, the headstock has an ebony veneer. The body and neck have cream-coloured bindings. The guitar weight is 4lb 3oz.

And it's all mine, mine I tell you, mine!!!  Now gotta source the pots/wiring loom, and dry fit everything before the stains are added...

Must add, it really is a thing of beauty, just hope I do the finishing a justice

Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    tFB Trader
    Still haven't got back to making LPJ's yet, but the photo below shows what I have been doing this week. Although not much else is going to be done as my bandsaw went bang yesterday morning. The motor start capacitor failed, it will be early next week before replacement comes. Consequently can only work on necks and bodies that have already been through the bandsaw.

From left to right, a Strat neck made from baked maple (flamed), in the middle a Swamp Ash Jazzmaster with a maple / rosewood neck, then a standard Telecaster made from Swamp Ash with a maple / maple neck.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Managed to get a LPJ made this week, fairly standard lightweight mahogany body three-piece Brazilian Mahogany neck ebony veneer on head stock, mother-of-pearl dot inlays medium jumbo frets. This is either going to be made to finish and given to Chickenshed, or sold as a B grade. Technically there's nothing really wrong with the guitar except it won't take a dogeared P90, it will have to have a standard P90 with the screws through the centre of the pickup. This was caused by a mistake on my part, I used the wrong neck jig, so the neck is about one degree shallow then it should be. So the strings would be too close to a dogeared P90.

Also managed to complete some fender style necks. From left to right, a solid rosewood T/C neck, a Strat neck solid rosewood with a ebony fingerboard, then two Strat necks made from baked maple with baked maple fingerboard's

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Is doubtful if I get back to making LPJ's for a week or so, as I got to re-make a Swamp Ash Les Paul that's having a Floyd Rose fitted, as I got the headstock shape wrong on the first one. I also have a Les Paul custom to make this week.

Also there seems to be a bit of a rush on Jazz Master's, I have five on order at the present time, I will try and fit these in between the Les Paul work. There are two Swamp Ash and three Alder Jazz Masters with necks to make.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27419
    Looks like you're keeping yourself plenty busy!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2371
    Rosewood tele neck and JM arrived yesterday, top work (as usual) from Graham!
    tFB Trader

The photo below is of 2 LPJ's I’m building, or should I say might build. The are made from the end of planks, so a bit over weight and not very petty and do not match one side to the other. I have chambered them to get the weight down, I’ll most likely cap them with flame Maple or just mahogany. But what every I do with them they will be sold as “B” grade at a good price. If anyone is interested let us know, and I will finish them to whatever specifications you want.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Out of interest how much for a dual p90 rout. And a matching chunky neck?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Chalky said:
    If I put on Mahogany top back on the price will be £190 inc P&P,  if you have a flame maple cap with binding £220 inc P&P.  If you go down the two dog ear P90 rout  make sure the neck pickup  has the very low pick up cover on it, as there is a lot  neck pick ups that use the bridge cover that is far too high to use in the neck position.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    GSPBASSES said:
    Chalky said:
    If I put on Mahogany top back on the price will be £190 inc P&P,  if you have a flame maple cap with binding £220 inc P&P.  If you go down the two dog ear P90 rout  make sure the neck pickup  has the very low pick up cover on it, as there is a lot  neck pick ups that use the bridge cover that is far too high to use in the neck position.

I was thinking of two soapbar p90s, maple cap, no binding? Neck specs to match?
    tFB Trader

At last I’ve managed to get back onto making some LPJ’s, I’ve completed two this week. I’m hoping to finish at least three more in the next couple of weeks. The single cut weighs just 5 lb, the DC’s weighs 5 lb 8 oz. This is one of the DC’s that I had to chamber as it was we bit over weight.

Very nice Graham - love the DC
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).

I'm back in the workshop at last, I was planning to close workshop for most of December to do a re-fit, but unfortunately I spent a lot of time down in Dorset babysitting for my daughter. I shouldn't call it babysitting is my grandsons  are 14 and 12. But I was ferrying them back and forth to school, as my son-in-law has just come out of hospital having had lots of metal work removed from his leg and is now waiting for a new knee to be fitted so he can't drive. Unfortunately my daughters also been in hospital with kidney problems, stones and something else not sure what.

I got awful lot of work to catch up. The first order is completed, it consisted of two left-hand strat bodies, plus one left-handed neck. There is also a Warwick style five string bass body and neck.

The photos below are some of the Les Paul arch tops and juniors I'm making this month's and into next month. There are a few other jobs to be done as well. The next  guitar will be a LP junior DC, I hope to have that finished by Wednesday, I did start this some time ago, photos to follow,  this is for member of the forum.

Two photos above the Les Paul arch tops, waiting to be completed. Amongst them are two possibly three that will end up as "B" grade as they are overweight. I estimate by the time they are finished with all hardware etc they will between 9 to 10lbs.

Very nice Graham - look forward to seeing these....
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited January 2017
    Hey GSPBASSES we've been chatting about you in a thread I started in 'guitar' section bout JXG Juniors. Are you planning on doing a run of double cut Juniors? Many thanks
    tFB Trader
    I will be making LPJ DC's soon but, I have a bit of a back log to clear first. I will PM you when I start the build's.

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    That's great thanks very much,greatly appreciated :)