NGD Les Paul

What's Hot
benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397

I kinda wanted to hold off posting this for a few days because Ive grown to dislike these fanboy style posts. People stick them up in the honeymoon period where everything is rosey and the next thing you know the guitar is in the classifieds!

BUT a few people asked so I thought I'd stick it on. Its one of the ES Les Pauls with no F Holes. Ive had my LP Classic for maybe 15 years now and its great, Ive gigged the arse off it, snapped the neck and had it repaired and changed pickups. Its an old friend and I know it inside out. However its bastard heavy! So Ive been looking at some semi's for the past few months, trying to find what works. I could never settle with a 335 (too big for me) 339 (dont like the look) a 330 is my dream guitar but they are too pricey.

Aaaanyways to ES is great. It does exactly what you'd expect and despite what any of the tonewood people tell you it absolutely sounds different to any LP I've ever played. It absolutely sounds like a 335 through an amp - and obviously very different unplugged. Obviously the biggest difference and tbh it has felt really odd! Is just getting used to playing a light LP! It really does take some getting used to!

In terms of features the neck is significantly chunkier than my classic (60's neck) The flame and colour of the top is just right for me. Nothing mega fancy but enough to look reassuringly expensive.

My only slight negative at the moment is that the neck pickup seems overlly "bassy." Now at present Ive only used it at home - reasonably loud. So I'll be interested to hear how that comes accross at practice and gigs. At present though if its the same I'll be looking to swap that out for something else. I guess thats a good sign though as generally I probably would have looked at moving the guitar on and starting again.

In short its a great guitar - theres zero finish issues that I can see but Im really not picky at all about stuff like that anyway. Will try and post some pics asap    

How very rock and roll
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's lovely mate! I love the top on it and also the back!

You're not the only person with a semi now!

What are the pickups in it? 57 classics?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4213
    Lovely! That's one of the best looking LP types I've seen for a long time, nice score. I haven't seen one of these in the flesh yet but they look interesting enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Panama_Jack666;1108389" said:
    That's lovely mate! I love the top on it and also the back!

Lol!

Apparently they are MHS pickups. Essentially a special run from the Memohis factory? Supposedly most like PAF they've ever made. I wouldn't really know Tbf!

And the top is nice but it's more striking when you catch it in the right light. In some it's quite plain. I like that!!
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Oooh, and double bound. Lovely top on that.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754

Very pretty!   I really like the look of that.

Oh another point worth mentioning is that for some reason the body feels substantially wider than my exisiting LP. Its not though I compared them and they are the same thickness.

Maybe its because the top is flatter? In all honesty I dont know but it definately feels different

How very rock and roll
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    i think these are a brilliant idea, try lowering the neck pickup down a lot and see if you can get rid of the wooliness, then balance the bridge pickup height to match the volume. I often find LP neck pickups can be like this at first

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Very nice indeed. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Thanks for posting. Have a wow, that is an absolute stunner.
    I really think I'll have to try one now.
    Congratulations!
  • Panama_Jack666;1108389" said:
    That's lovely mate! I love the top on it and also the back!

Lol!

Apparently they are MHS pickups. Essentially a special run from the Memohis factory? Supposedly most like PAF they've ever made. I wouldn't really know Tbf!

And the top is nice but it's more striking when you catch it in the right light. In some it's quite plain. I like that!!
    MHS - interesting. Not heard those before, I will be very interested to hear them! Especially compared to 57 classics. 

Do you know what the weight of yours is?

I'm a sucker for anything Gibson. Had a wander around the Memphis factory with @koss59 not so long ago! Koss called out the tour guide on the terrible 2015's! Ha!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    Really nice!
    This might seem too obvious but might be worth a try - bring your neck pickup down a bit further away from the strings... it's have a larger impact on tone than volume and should help with that I think you are describing!
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    That is really beautiful. Even the back is special, congrats.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4854
    edited June 2016
    monoamine said:
    Really nice!
    This might seem too obvious but might be worth a try - bring your neck pickup down a bit further away from the strings... it's have a larger impact on tone than volume and should help with that I think you are describing!
    +1 for this (and one previous). The neck pickup on my 2009 VOS had to go down almost flush to the mount before the wooly bass vanished. There wasn't any noticeable difference in signal strength, just tonal balance. Yours looks really high in the pix. Lovely looking guitar, BTW! 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Looks really nice. What an unusual guitar.
    It seems I am the second poster on this thread who did not know such a guitar existed.

It would be nice to know what the weight is. And how it balances on a strap.

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1785
    That's a stunner mate! Did you buy it online without playing it? If so then you really hit it lucky, is gorgeous.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.

Sorry I didnt get the weight of mine but there's another one up on Andertons website advertisied at 6.1lb's, Id assume thats roughly the same as mine. Either way its feather light.

I shall try lowering the neck pickup - thanks for the tip guys.

How very rock and roll
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3683
    That's really nice.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Looks awesome!!!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    very, very nice looking that. Happy NGD :)