Stoner Rock

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Reverend said:
    Blind may just edge them for me as it has more of a Trouble vibe. The promo track for the new one is promising. 

Blind was great, but I'm a bit underwhelmed by what little I've heard of the new album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just popped in to remind everyone that the newest Pallbearer album is amazing
    Just popped in to remind everyone that the newest Pallbearer album is amazing
    It's very good.  I've been listening to them a lot the last few weeks.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Reverend said:
    Stoner rock was when hardcore kids and punks smoked too much weed and slowed down their black flag riffs. 

OK - it does seem to have a slightly spaced-out feel to it!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Jalapeno said:

I do hope there's no thread ageism here.

There was another guitar forum which became unusable because they kept getting upset about people commenting on old threads and the mods would lock them to kill the conversation.
    It's a necrobump, but there has been a whole page of new posts.  I think it's well and truly resuscitated - for now.

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Philly_Q said:
    It's a necrobump, but there has been a whole page of new posts.  I think it's well and truly resuscitated - for now.

And the worlds a better place for it. Looking forward to working my way through some new suggestions this week!!
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    edited December 2017
    Corrosion Of Conformity aren't stoner rock but their new album so far is sounding pretty fucking fantastic.

Quite a large amount of stoner rock bores me these days sadly - although I do like watching it live. Elephant Tree are one of the better bands.
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    Blind may just edge them for me as it has more of a Trouble vibe. The promo track for the new one is promising. 

Blind was great, but I'm a bit underwhelmed by what little I've heard of the new album.
    I'm glad you mentioned Blind, I'm listening to it for the first time in many years.  I'd forgotten just how good it is.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Dopesick said:
    Corrosion Of Conformity aren't stoner rock but their new album so far is sounding pretty fucking fantastic.

Quite a large amount of stoner rock bores me these days sadly - although I do like watching it live. Elephant Tree are one of the better bands.
    I know what you mean, a lot of it feels like it's treading old ground with the bands wishing they were either Sabbath or Electric Wizard. I'm probably guilty of the same in my own music though! 
  • There have been a few uploads on the past few days that I think are worth sharing. 

Purple Dino - I was expecting something else from a band with this name and this art on the cover, but I actually enjoying their sound!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYfQcEqupiM

Stoned Earth - Not much to say, it's a pretty solid album, I'm enjoying every moment of it!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZK4El_1PbQ
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    prowla said:
    Jalapeno said:

I do hope there's no thread ageism here.

There was another guitar forum which became unusable because they kept getting upset about people commenting on old threads and the mods would lock them to kill the conversation.
    Fill your boots !!!!!

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • One of my favourite stoner songs is'blizzards, buzzards bastards' by scissor fight.

Love OG kyuss, fu Manchu. 

Not sure if its too psychaedelic to be classed as stoner, but I love colour haze too
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Scissorfight are absolutely bloody awesome. Can't wait until they finally release new material.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    edited December 2017
    One of the best riffs ever:

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    edited December 2017
    As for where stoner rock/doom metal comes from, it has several origins. Black Sabbath and Pentagram are the obvious starting point, through Trouble/Candlemass/Cathedral/Saint Vitus for late 70's/early 80's stoner/doom bands (I tend to use stoner and doom interchangeably, as IMO it's basically whether the music is about a good trip or a bad one).
    Other 80's examples would be Witchfinder General who are heavily Sabbath influenced.
    90's Stoner/Doom has all sorts of influences. As @Reverend says, Black Flag influenced a lot of guys, then the Melvins. Kyuss would say they have more influence from Black Flag than Black Sabbath.

There's lots of subgenres. Southern Sludge covers bands like CoC and Down etc, then there's drone (Earth, Sunn O))) ), chant (OM) etc, and many more.

Here's a bit of Egypt:

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • strtdv said:
    One of the best riffs ever:

This is 'stoner rock' for me. Big, dumb and groovy. 

Anyone ever hear the classic stoner rock album Ganglion Reef by Wand? Quality..........
  • The first Karma To Burn album is amazing.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Majorly pissed to have missed red fang. didn't make the effort to go see their stand alone show because I was going to see them support mastodon... then I got snowed in so couldn't make the show.

Morass of molasses are a bluesy/stoner type outfit from Reading. Monsterous sound live.