0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I've been listening to this a lot recently

Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Desert Fest in London early May - @Philly_Q Elder are playing

My lad's going. I might go. Or just steal his ticket and all his dope.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22786
    Corvus said:

Thanks @Corvus. ; Black Moth, The Obsessed and Jex Thoth too, I see. I am tempted, but I fear elderly me might be a bit out of place...
  • RaraRara Frets: 5
    @Philly_Q you should totally go if you want to. I saw an older bloke really REALLY get into Mogwai when they played Glasgow in December - at least he was loving it unlike most other fans just standing there. Wish I could go to Desert Fest, Nebula!!!!, but I'm beyond skint :(
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    All sorts of age groups go to Desertfest - and pretty much stoner/doom gigs in general. Plenty of chaps nearing retirement age went last year. Hell, one of the headliners average age is late fifties.

Will be getting my weekend ticket soon hopefully.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Philly_Q said:
    Corvus said:

Thanks @Corvus. ; Black Moth, The Obsessed and Jex Thoth too, I see. I am tempted, but I fear elderly me might be a bit out of place...
    Rubbish..... get out there and enjoy yourself.  No-one else will care how old you are. 

I speak as a forty seven year year old man, who still wears a 'patch jacket/battle vest' when appropriate and was definitely the oldest person at a recent hardcore show in Southampton....
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited January 2018
    If theres one genre where old guys are more than welcome it’s going to be stoner/doom, or indeed metal or in general. I’m 42 and, though not ancient (yet), I have no misgivings about going to any gig because of my age. If Elder were playing near me I’d be there like a shot 
    Thanks for the supportive comments, gents.  It's not so much a worry about being unwelcome, more about me finding gigs in general a bit more of an ordeal these days - standing in a crowd for hours, achy back, stiff neck craning to see over people's heads etc.  And - dare I say - I actually find it too loud...

But I am still tempted.  I'll look into it.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    I'm 45 and played desertfest last year.

• Good Ol' Jimi Hendrix

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

@Reverend nice one, spill beans - got any links to tracks?

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    Corvus said:

@Reverend nice one, spill beans - got any links to tracks?

This is us at stoner vs doom 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Discovered Green Druid's new album Ashen Blood this on Itunes' metal new releases page; supremely heavy, slow and psychedelic stoner/doom, highly recommended:

Discovered Green Druid's new album Ashen Blood this on Itunes' metal new releases page; supremely heavy, slow and psychedelic stoner/doom, highly recommended:

I was listening to that on Spotify last night, I think because you mentioned it elsewhere, never heard of them before.

I must admit I fell asleep during the second track...  When I woke up it was daylight.  And the track still hadn't ended.

It's good though.  Maybe not enough variation or melodic bits to really catch my attention, but perhaps they'll come through on repeat listens.

• @Philly_Q ; Yes it's not exactly catchy; it might have something to do with Denver's legalisation of weed :lol . I've been mixing it up with the Earthless record which is much more lively. Sometimes I like to challenge myself with long, slow uncatchy music, I just let it wash over me whilst I'm working or falling asleep.
  • Another discovery in Itunes' metal page, (and something a lot more immediate than Green Druid); Freedom Hawk. The new album Beast Inside, Sabbathy stoner rock with qotsa vibes. Great riffs and solos, like this a lot. The second track Danger is superb.

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981

Another discovery in Itunes' metal page, (and something a lot more immediate than Green Druid); Freedom Hawk. The new album Beast Inside, Sabbathy stoner rock with qotsa vibes. Great riffs and solos, like this a lot. The second track Danger is superb.

Like that a lot, second track is cracking.

ASG, the band in my first post are playing desert fest now (which I can't get to) and a few dates supporting Weedeater as well. So hitting along on the Clwb Ifor Bach Gig!

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Has anyone mentioned Kadavar?

Recent album Rough Times is excellent. :) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/