Double Decker Oak Guitar Rack by Stand-Made

What's Hot
We've just been asked to design and build a 2 tiered/double deckered Oak Guitar Rack for a customer's new home studio! We'd be very interested to hear members thoughts regarding its height & depth etc.
Oak & Bespoke Guitar Stands & Racks made in Shropshire, England.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimTim Frets: 4
    May not be of any use to you, but here is similar system which might help you with dimensions etc?

http://www.drsracks.com/racks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27449
    @hubobulous built something into a corner of a room, IIRC

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    Hi Stand_Made - looks like there's something up with your website - Error 504 - Gateway Timeout
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Here's a link to what mine ended up looking like:

If you'd like me to take measurements, please let me know. I guess the main difference would be the angle at which they want the guitars to lean which will obviously affect the depth

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    Jalapeno said:
    Hi Stand_Made - looks like there's something up with your website - Error 504 - Gateway Timeout
    I'm getting the same error message
  • stand_madestand_made Frets: 57
    Many thanks everyone! Not sure what was going on earlier but the weblink/site seems to be working now, but please let me know if you still can't access it. 

Hadn't looked at DSRacks.com before Tim - nice, simple design for flatpack. We think we can achieve a little less height and still keep the depth within 50cm. We're planning to make it stackable so each level can also be used separately - we make everything fully assembled using traditional mortice & tenon joints so easy handling, finishing, packaging and delivery are vital. 

Really enjoyed looking at your "man cave" Rack hubobulous - excellent spot of DIY!

Cheers guys!
    Andy
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    Yup, working fine now
    Many thanks the_jaffa!
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6127
    edited June 2016 tFB Trader
    Very excited for this.... Seeing as I've ordered the build to prevent my wife killing me for taking over the house with guitars! One stand, double tier and crucially in one place- the man cave.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    We're very excited about this project too. Always happy to save customers from the firing squad - will have some "work-in-progress" shots for you @ThorpyFX(and Mrs Thorpe!) in the next few days! 
    It took a little longer than normal to plan & figure this one out but once we'd overcome the challenging dimensions & tight angles, we were very quickly able to steam ahead with the design's construction and reach the "pre-finish" stage within a few days. So here's a few shots:
    We've managed to create a very stable Rack with a depth of just 50cm and height of 6' 3" - keeping the tips of the headstocks on the top tier below 2m.

Initially thinking more about how we could make the construction, finishing and transportation as easy as possible, we opted for a 2-in-1 design meaning each level can be stacked or split up & used independantly!

REALLY enjoying it!!
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6127
    tFB Trader
    ^ yeah, this is bloody epic!!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27449
    That looks excellent.

Are you planning on offering different lengths capable of holding different numbers of guitars?  

I'm guessing that would be reasonably easy to accommodate now you've done all the hard design work?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Hmm. Interesting.
    edited June 2016
    TTony said:
    That looks excellent.

Are you planning on offering different lengths capable of holding different numbers of guitars?  

I'm guessing that would be reasonably easy to accommodate now you've done all the hard design work?
    Many thanks! Yes, thanks to @Thorpyfx speeding things up, we'll be introducing the "Double-Decker" Rack (in both our Classic and Retro styles) asap. We make everything to order so bespoke customers can "tweak" things, but we'll initially promote our standard dimensions suitable for storing/displaying between 4-10 large bodied Acoustics or 6-16 solid bodied electrics (as here!). 

And we're already working on the DD Case Rack for customers who prefer to keep their instruments inside their cases!  
    We made a little video of it being engraved today!
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 378
    Looks great could you pm me for cost of that double decker for solid bodies
    So, we finally finished the new "double-decker" rack today and took a few final pictures before we deliver it to @ThorpyFX later this week. Having chosen our "Weathered" finish, the grain in the Oak has come up a real treat!! Can't wait to add this to our ever growing range of products.