So, 4 days on, were Remain scaremongering or not?

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
So far we've had the pound and FTSE tank, Osborne saying taxes will rising and public spending cut, Branson is saying Chinese investors are pulling out as we speak, and supermarkets are gearing up to raise prices.

Have 17 million voted to wreck their own personal finances and futures, or will it all be over by Christmas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33786
    Too early to say but it looks as though we're in for an extended period of downturn.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I think the last few month's see saw will continue. Today the FTSE has bounced back a couple of percent. Tomorrow it will likely drpo a bit, recover again tomorrow.

Honeslty, I think in the medium turn, nothing will change.

The fact that the FTSe recovered quite a lot on Friday from an initial 8% drop indicates that there is a lot of appetite for FTSE 100 companies. Thing is, those companies are good solid businesses. That doesn't change overnight.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    An interesting fallout from this will be that usually it's the government and MPs who introduce rules and measures which result in making the lives of some ordinary people more difficult. This time it's your neighbour who is possibly shafting you, and smiling about it. Just another reason why ochlocracy is rarely a good idea.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    Snap said:
    I think the last few month's see saw will continue. Today the FTSE has bounced back a couple of percent. Tomorrow it will likely drpo a bit, recover again tomorrow.

Honeslty, I think in the medium turn, nothing will change.

The fact that the FTSe recovered quite a lot on Friday from an initial 8% drop indicates that there is a lot of appetite for FTSE 100 companies. Thing is, those companies are good solid businesses. That doesn't change overnight.
    Be cautious when looking at the FTSE100. many of those companies are multinationals that work in US Dollars. When they convert their figures into £ Sterling they'll appear to have seen an increase in global turnover but it will be based on the exchange rate. 

Try the FTSE 250, which has more UK-only, £ Sterling-based business in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    From the NY Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/business/international/brexit-financial-economic-impact-leave.html?_r=0

'Markets crave known facts and fret about variables, seeing potential risks in all unknowns. An enormous portion of the map is now draped in uncertainty, effectively impervious to calculation.'

Things are going to be variable for quite some time :-(
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28047
    I think there was a degree of exaggeration - Godzilla hasn't attacked yet - but fundamentally they were right about the short term.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I believe that if all the politicians can bin their self interest (good luck with that) and we all work together, it will work.

Unfortunately the result seems to have brought out the worst in everybody.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33786
    I believe that if all the politicians can bin their self interest (good luck with that) and we all work together, it will work.

Unfortunately the result seems to have brought out the worst in everybody.
    So you're saying that it was a bad idea to vote out? :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2016
    World War 3 hasn't started and Osborne has decided not to impose his drastic budget so I say yes. There was always going to be some volatility in the markets.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
    Who knows. 

Short term was always going to get messy.  WE will not know which side had it most right (or more likely they will both have some right and some wrong) until 5 years or so down the line.......
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Are the apples still getting picked in the fields?
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Tbh the only people I know who are still positive about voting leave are retired or long-term unemployed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    mellowsun;1129741" said:
    Tbh the only people I know who are still positive about voting leave are retired or long-term unemployed.
    And the far right.

The Sun decide the best way to celebrate on Friday was to put members of Combat 18 on the front page.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Any non-monetary considerations?

Folk will pile back into the stock market, don't worry about that..
    quarky said:
    Never have been - they grow on trees.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited June 2016
    mellowsun said:
    Depends what you mean by "positive". If you mean "certain", then there are still an awful lot of people who voted Leave purely because they're angry at the people in power, and are convinced that nothing could be worse than the last 8 years. They're still angry, and would still vote "Leave". 

If you mean "optimistic"...again, they either think nothing could be worse or they simply don't care/don't think it applies to them, same result.
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    quarky said:
    Never have been - they grow on trees.

...in fields :D
    <space for hire>
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    4 days is too early to tell.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

Nope in orchards.  A field - by definition - is pretty much a patch of ground with no trees in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    And who will pick them once the low paid migrant workforce has been sent home?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom