Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Composition Challenge #1 "Malian Desert Blues"

What's Hot
Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
edited December 2014 in Making Music
Happy New Year everyone!

So it is a new year and a chance for a new start so what better way then a forum competition! Some of you may have read my original post on the idea and having discussed it with some of you / observed the ideas that were already going in the Studio section of the forum, well we are now ready to rock out the first competition.

The competition:

Every 3 months there will be a competition, it revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing or covering songs based on a set of rules or guidelines laid out for that particular competition.

The first competition will have a Prize and it is also possible that future competitions may also have prizes depending on donations/sponsors.

The first competition will run from the 1st Jan 2014 and end with the winner being announced on the 31st March 2014.

The second competition will run from the 1st April 2014 and end with the winner being announced on the 30th June 2014.

The third competition will run from the 1st July 2014 and end with the winner being announced on the 30th September 2014.

The fourth competition will run from the 1st October 2014 and end with the winner being announced on the 31st December 2014.

And so on for next year.

Submissions must be made on or before the 15th day of the last month of the competition, for example the 15th March 2014. This is to allow time for uploading all the submissions and for voting.

Purpose

To encourage people on this forum to actually engage in more practical music making and to attract new member's to the forum. Fretboard Challenge should be a fun and productive online community competition.

Entry Requirements

You must be a registered forum member with at least 10 posts to enter the competition.

Submission Details

All recordings will need to be sent via email to fretboardchallenge AT gmail.com

All songs will then be upload to the Fretboard Challenge YouTube channel. (Competition details will be posted on there soon).

Songs can be submitted in an MP3 format with an accompanying Image (this will be then used to create a WMV to be uploaded to youtube) or you can submit your own WMV file and create a proper video if you wish.

Voting

Voting will commence on the 17th day of the last month of the competition. Unless this forum gets a proper voting system in the next 4 months voting will be undertaken as follows:

I shall post a voting thread on the forum on the 17th, every registered forum member can vote once by simply posting in the thread their vote for best track. Please only post once and do not post anything else other than your vote in the thread (mods could you please police this).

Hopefully no one has a problem with public voting.................

Legal Stuff (because some people will undoubtedly ask)

This is supposed to be a friendly competition so hopefully we don't get into any of this stuff but:

This competition is NOT administered by the administration of www.thefretboard.co.uk and the website takes no responsibility for any content produced or uploaded via this competition.

All songs and videos will belong to the people that created the original track (you), after the end of the competition if you wish for your track to be removed from youtube just let us know and will we do it straight away.

When creating your tracks please do not breach copyright law or plagiarize other peoples work, if you do this you will be removed from the competition.

FRETBOARD CHALLENGE #1

Guidelines

To create a track at least 2 minutes in length in a Malian Desert Blues/Folk style. Think Ali Farka Toure, Tinariwen etc etc.

Any number or combination of instruments can be used, vocal layering and sampling is also permitted.

You Do Not have to use guitars if you don't want to.

Deadline

Midnight (UK time) 15th March 2014.

Prize

The prize for this competition will be a brand new Electro Harmonix Knockout Effects Pedal (worth about £50) (unless anyone has major objections)

I shall provide the prize, however If you would like to make a donation to the prize fund please let me know.

Questions

Let me know.

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Im sure I will have to update this at some stage so let me know if I need to add anything or if I have done anything wrong.
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have been informed that the scope for the challenge might be a bit tough which I can understand, so does anyone have any comment on this at all?
    Old Is Gold
  • I have been informed that the scope for the challenge might be a bit tough which I can understand, so does anyone have any comment on this at all?
    The whole point of musical challenges is that they're not meant to be easy, clue's in the word "challenge"!

Theme for this one might push us out of our comfort zone a bit, but isn't that the aim?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Sounds good to me, nice one Sheldon. :)
  • Indeed a challenge is the aim I just was waiting to get some feedback to see people opinions.
    Old Is Gold
  • Old Is Gold
    Has Camel reformed and now on tour? :D
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    I'm game! I've been sessioning for a dark folk band recently I hope they can give me some inspiration! 
  • ddlooping said:
    Has Camel reformed and now on tour? :D

Now for 2014:

Holland - Amsterdam, PARADISO Sunday, 2nd March 2014
    Holland - Eindhoven, MUZIEKGEBOUW, Monday 3rd March 2014
    Belgium - Gent, VOORUIT, Tuesday 4th March 2014
    Germany - Filderstadt/Stuttgart, FILHARMONIE Thursday 6th March 2014
    Germany - Cologne, THEATER AM TANZBRUNNEN Friday 7th March 2014
    UK - Sheffield, CITY HALL, Sunday 9th March 2014
    UK - Birmingham, TOWN HALL Monday 10th March 2014
    UK - Cambridge, CORN EXCHANGE, Tuesday 11th March 2014
    UK - Warrington, PARR HALL, Thursday 13th March 2014

Dates not yet confirmed:

Portugal - Lisbon, AULA MAGNA, Sunday 16th March 2014
    Spain - Madrid, TEATRO NUEVO APOLO, Monday 17th March 2014
    Spain, Barcelona, BARTS THEATER, Tuesday 18th March 2014
    Italy - Turin, HIROSHIMA, Thursday 20th March 2014
    Italy - Vincenza, TEATRO COMUNALE, Friday 21 March 2014
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    I guess they have. :D
  • Indeed a challenge is the aim I just was waiting to get some feedback to see people opinions.
    A challenge such as a fugue with six fully invertible parts would be a pleasant pastime for the likes of JS Bach and an impossibility for the rest of us. Similarly asking for a particular style of music. I could recommend a more open-ended specification such as compatible with a certain kind of subject matter (eg theme for a film/radio/tv subject). More acheivable technical specs might include to have a number of key or time changes, or to have a minimum number of bars containing a minimum number of single-note parts in harmony.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I have been informed that the scope for the challenge might be a bit tough which I can understand, so does anyone have any comment on this at all?
    I like this.  I have no idea what to produce but I'm making a deal with myself to have two minutes of something by the deadline.

:)
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Me too.  Never heard of "Malian Desert Blues/Folk" but gonna give it a go  :)
  • To be clear to everyone there is no pressure at all, if near the deadline you find yourself with 2 minutes of synth raga with whale sounds don't be alarmed you will still be entered in the competition, In fact you might win :-)

There is not definitive outcome lots of the stuff from Mali is pretty varied anyway. This is about having a go taking part and having fun, im totally up for some comedy entries as well (and I don't mean the kind you get in soho).

Just give it a go and see you might surprise yourself.
    Old Is Gold
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    May I suggest this thread gets moved and a section setup for forum-based music creation [please mods]. We have had a few forum challenges which petered out - I think out own section under Studio & recording could be in order.

This challenge is right outside my comfort zone but I'm up for it. My only comment is the length of time between challenges. Perhaps it could be a tad shorter .. I don't intend to re-record tubular bells ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited January 2014
    Well it is in off topic to encourage people that don't hang about in the other parts of the forum to get involved in music making really so I would quite like it to stay here personally. But I agree there should be a music a making section.

As for time scales I was going to originally do it every 3 months so I could change it back to that
    Old Is Gold
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    I shall move it ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited January 2014
    I really DON'T want it to be moved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old Is Gold
  • can you move this back now seriously the whole point is that its in off topic so that people see it is there and that people who only post on off topic or guitars can see it.

As Fretwired said all the other competitions fizzle out and that i because they are in a sub section that not many people will read!
    Old Is Gold