Anyone doing their Guitar Grades ?

What's Hot
Just_chillinJust_chillin Frets: 10
edited July 2016 in Theory
I'm currently busy with my Grade 3 in Acoustic Guitar.

The examining body is the Registry of Guitar Tutors (RGT) and the awarding body that issue the certificate is the University of West London via the London College of Music

I'm reasonably OK with scales, chords, strumming patterns etc however, I'm finding 'finger picking' a bit of a challenge as I've always struggled with this. 

Is there anyone else doing their grades whether it be electric, classical or acoustic?  How are you finding it?  Regardless of which guitar grades you're studying, would anyone be interested in a discussion thread about doing their grades and offering support to each other?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Not studying, but if you are struggling with fingerpicking/right hand technique, try some classical guitar studies such as 'Twenty Studies for the Guitar' by Fernando Sor (Segovia Edition).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for your post, BigLicks67. I will look into it.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4688

I did electric RGT up to grade 6.  Learned some useful stuff but got bored so didn't carry on.   I might do the ABRSM classical grades at some point and can already play up to about grade 6 pieces, but would need to start at grade 1 for the notation. I'm fairly proficient at most finger picking styles, If you post what you are struggling with or put a video on here I'm sure everybody can offer some advise.   I learned through the progressive series of books, they are great.  Like learning most things, play slow and clearly and build up gradually with regular daily practise.  There can be a lot going on with the right hand, it's almost like a mini drummer, it just takes time, but once picking patterns click they stay with you.
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    edited July 2016
    I considered whether it would be an idea to have a go at guitar grades, but from what I read you have to sing the notes you're playing, or something.

I will never, ever, sing under any circumstances so that's me out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Jumped in at the RGT grade 5 a while ago - wanted to have something to show parents if I ever begin teaching - got it handy enough- well worth having a go 
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    I never did any disciplined study and it really shows - I'm just restricted in so many ways.  Stick with it, it will always be with you and will give you a lot of breadth.  My son is doing grades in classical guitar.  I'm not sure how much he really enjoys it but even doing it in a very functional way (he reluctantly does 20 mins a day practice) he's already grade 4 and I can see he's going to be a really good guitarist no matter which direction he chooses to go in.  I'll see if he's interested in your idea of a support group but I can't make any promises - as I say, he does it as a matter of course rather than as a passion!
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    I took it to Grade 5 Electric Guitar 15years ago as a credential accountable towards running private guitar lessons. I found the experience very rewarding in it's breadth of cover, giving anybody a good competence in not only playing, but understanding the way/reason things work. Afterwards when I moved to live in France 2 or 3 years later, the skill of playing pieces from standard notation has long been buried in the past, but the knowledge of music theory needed to pass the grades, and it's stimulus to learn more has been undoubtedly rewarding to this day. I found it was beginning to get tough after Grade 5 so I bailed out satisfied that I had a good grasp of music to pass on! But I would certainly recommend trying the system for any serious guitar player to get the better out of working out songs and opening up the fretboard.