S-Gear ?? How much processing power does this plugin use ?

siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
edited July 2016 in Studio & Recording
My PC is only a humble dual core PC, 3ghz Core 2 Duo with 8gb ram running windows 7. At the moment I'd only expect to be using a drum plugin (MT now but soon EZ Drummer2) and an amp sim plugin like S-Gear. So guessing it will be fine and no problem for even a humble PC as mine. Watched the S-Gear demo yesterday after hearing a few things and it sounds amazing! So that is now on my list...doesn't seem that expensive at just under a ton. So its gonna be hard to resist getting it in the near future.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26679
    I don't think it's particularly onerous, given that so many people think it's great. You could always try older versions of it if you need to reduce the CPU usage? I believe it also has various options which let you reduce the quality to decrease the overhead.

The thing is, it's not about how much it uses in one track; it's about how many tracks you're going to be using it one simultaneously.

For what it's worth, though, I recorded my band's whole album on a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo laptop with multiple copies of Amplitube 3 (not the most efficient plugin), loads of reverb/EQ plugins and Addictive Drums. It chugged a bit (mainly because it only had 2GB RAM and a shitty, slow hard drive), but it was mostly just fine.
    <space for hire>
  • horsehorse Frets: 1578
    I think you can download a trial version to make sure before buying?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    Yeah download the free trial (90 days I think) and see if it works. It has a hi res and low res mode switch, so that can help.
    It's a great VST - imo still the best available, and it takes pedals in the input really well.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    free 90 day trial ? Wow...that's long! Be rude not to then! Cheers guys! :)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    ...ah 15 days. A bit shorter than 90 days. Oh well still 15 days for free.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    sorry!! I thought it was 90 days when I downloaded, but that was years ago... :
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    I love S-Gear, I have it as part of my Slate Digital subscription, a lot more organic than Amplitube even though some of the amp models are a tad noisy
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7520
    It's great - the demo is full featured, just time limited. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    If you want to reduce CPU usage make a "guitar in" bus and put a sinlge instance of it on that. Then make multiple "guitar take" tracks and record them all from that same bus.