9v rechargable battery for onboard electronics

erky32erky32 Frets: 49
I have a Godin Ultra A6 with hb & piezo, it has o/b EQ preamp which is powered from an o/b 9v battery. Batteries only last ashort while before I start getting distortion esp on the acoustic channel. I assume the acoustic side needs more voltage headroom and so when the battery looses its initial life and the volts get sucked down, then distortion will begin.From what I know rechargables never reach that full alkaline voltage even when fully charged, Ni-cads i believe just 1.2 instead of 1.5, so maybe a 9v only gets to 7.2v ?? ...dunno! Has anybody addressed this situation?, tried rechargables? ....any recommendations for best batteries (i use Enloop 1.5v for my radios and they are brilliant but i dont think they do 9v)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1014
    I use a cheapo Uniross one for my Acoustasonic, but it behaves like any other rechargeable where the power level just drops off very quickly. I think the best bet is to buy a few of these and keep them handy as they are cheap really.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    I use rechargeables and keep them in one of those round plastic chewing gum containers. It's exactly the right size to hold 1, 2, 3 or 4, and regardless of how many you have in there and how hard you shake them, they will never end up with the contacts touching each other. I cycle 8 batteries through the charging routine, so there's always 4 or so spare. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2016
    You can get rechargeable 9v alkalines. The green ones from Maplin are pretty good, not cheap at 9.99 each but they last well.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Look at the mAh rating, in simple terms that's how much charge the battery can store if you look at it like a fuel tank. That's one indication, the other is the type of chemical contruction, some rechargables are very good for quick heavy loads and will outperform a good Alkaline when drawing 400mA's or so but wouldn't be a good choice for very low current but  long life ... like in a smoke alarm 

I'm surprised about the short life in the Godin, the small signal pre amp draws a tiny current in use, you obviously unplug it when not in use ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    Thanks for all replies, ...and yes I'm careful to unplug when not in use, but I do notice distortion creeping in after not too long, thats why I wonder if the preamp is very voltage sensitive needing that full 9v, bit wierd because I would have thought a preamp would have negligible current consumption and voltage pull-down. But I also understand that acoustic amps being more hifi need that voltage headroom. I've been looking at Li-ions and some of the later gel ones (EBL) seem to be sitting at 9.6v, (600mAh) probably 8 cell construction, so I might give those a trial. I'm still grateful for all your ideas/experiences if anyone has more to offer before I order some.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    I never use rechargeables, although I do buy my batteries in quantities, its just not worth ruining a gig for the sake of a couple of quid just my 2 pennorth.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk