All Our Yesterdays - Jaydee Hooligan or Jaydee Guitars

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
edited August 2016 in Guitar tFB Trader
Who can recall Jaydee Guitars such as the Hooligan - I might be wrong but I think I custom ordered and sold this actual guitar, (see belo) brand new when I was involved with Wisher Derby Ltd in the 1970's and 80's - I custom ordered one with a matching red gloss finished fingerboard and headstock, based on something similar that I'd seen Earl Slick use  - can't be many made like this hence my thoughts of selling it originally - just found it on google images
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• winstonywinstony Frets: 29
    earl slicks guitar i think was built by Di marzio , i could be wrong thou . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    winstony said:
    I only based the Jaydee I ordered on his style - I think you are right in that Slick's was a partsocaster
  • Jaydee's were good guitars and good value secondhand if you can find one at a sensible price
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    A mate had a Hooligan. Sounded ace Iirc.

I remember seeing a Jaydee that was a Double Cut Flat Top, a bit like a *proper* Hamer Special but with a Kahler and (Iirc) Kent Armstrong humbuckers. It was in one of the London shops about 20years ago and I was tempted... But the Kahler put me off
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited August 2016
    I'll post some pics of my old JayDees later. :)

IIRC, I've had:

2 x Explorers
    SG
    2 x Flying V's
    Hooligan

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

edited August 2016

edited August 2016

By the way...if anyone can fix these links, please do - I'm having a huge problem posting from Photobucket on my mobile.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    I recall those pick-ups with blade magnets as on your black Explorer - can't recall what they are but many Hooligans had them - quite powerful I recall - That is the first Jaydee SG I think I've seen - - cool colour
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    It was a bit later than that - maybe 85 or later and Gary Moore was in their advert
    Earl Slick's red guitar was a bit earlier and was all Dimarzio parts

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22793

Did Big John Thomas (RIP) from Budgie have one of those Explorers?  Pretty sure he owned something very similar.

I've got an old DiMarzio catalogue at home which includes things like bright pink lacquered maple necks.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    winstony said:
    It was built by Cavin but badged as diMarzio....he had a blue one and a red one

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• OldgeetarOldgeetar Frets: 5
    Hi there, the red Hooligan is mine. It was indeed a special order and was originally owned I think by Tim from ’Karrier’? It was owned soon after by my friend Brian Tatler (of Diamond Head) who had it for many years and used it with Metallica in some big shows. I acquired it some years ago - billet Floyd Rose trem and a EMG81 pickup. I was in the studio when it was still Tim’s in the ‘eighties! RPK Studios! It now hangs in my living room and is still better than my PRS’s! 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Oldgeetar said:
    Hi there, the red Hooligan is mine. It was indeed a special order and was originally owned I think by Tim from ’Karrier’? It was owned soon after by my friend Brian Tatler (of Diamond Head) who had it for many years and used it with Metallica in some big shows. I acquired it some years ago - billet Floyd Rose trem and a EMG81 pickup. I was in the studio when it was still Tim’s in the ‘eighties! RPK Studios! It now hangs in my living room and is still better than my PRS’s! 
    I can confirm this ;)  Tim ( dante fox now ) and brian were mates back then , brian owned the hooligan and a really nice jaydee explorer, i think tim just borrowed the hooligan ( it played so well ) cant remember exactly , i used to help brian with his backline when i wasnt playing myself ( radio moscow days ) lots of fun those rpk days , i almost commisioned a bespoke jaydee did drawnings etc but didnt go for it in the end , but he used to set up look after my bc riches ....
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    An old friend of mine (since lost touch) used to play a Jaydee Explorer back in the early eighties, massive sounding guitar & what got me in to playing first time around back then really.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    winstony said:
    Slick's Serious Moonlight guitars were a pair built by diMarzio and both had painted/laquered fingerboards.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.