Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Digital mixing desks

What's Hot

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    For those of you that don't have a separate sound guy and mix from stage,   how are you turning effect on and off - e.g. cut the vocal reverb between songs?    small midi footswitch?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Our singer uses a pedal for vocal effects anyway so i suspect we'll do the same and jsut leave our backing vocals with a touch of verb all the time.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited November 2016
    The Allen & Heath has input for a two button footswitch and each button can be assigned to any parameter.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Was using a Mackie DL1608 again last night and it crashed halfway through the first set. I'm sure the problem is with the lighting connector as when I pushed it back in after undocking it came up with a non supported product message on the iPad which means it didn't recognize the eprom in the lighting male connector. So now I'll have to change that!

The DL1608 is becoming my least favorite desk at the moment
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I bought an X18 - but so far I can't get it to connect to anything, so it's looking unlikely I'll use it for tonights gig.    

Unless i'm missing something very obvious,   when powered up it should appear in the list of wifi connections on the iPad or pc but nothing.  Tried the reset button but there doesn't seem to be anything else to adjust so no idea how to get it going :(
    Does it broadcast it's presence ? I hide the routers presence  on installations so people don't see it as internet wi fi and try to connect. If you know it's there though you go to settings - wi fi - other - and type in the name and password to connect. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Weirdly I tried recycling the power one more time and it worked.    Played with it and tried disconnected and powering off a few times and it works every time now.    

Got an easy local gig tonight so I'll give it a try and report back tomorrow.     First impressions are good though - feels solid and the software is easy to use.  
    edited November 2016
    I had a touchy few hours with my AH at first until I realized the issue was my ropey WiFi at home that just has bad days sometimes.

It's been rock solid since I connected a separate router to it.

I'm convinced they are the way to go for simple mixing tasks.  One thing I do like with the AH is its full rack width with all 16 inputs in one row.  Makes it easier to visually align what inputs are connected with the iPad app display so one less bit of mental conversion required when going from the physical mixer to the app display ..

I just scored an iPad Air 1 for £200 (Apple refurbishment store) and that can be dedicated to the mixer and other music stuff.
  • There's a big problem with iPad / digital desks that is a constant source of irritation for our band:

when you want to signal the sound man to turn up your monitor you can't. Why? Because he's wondering around with an iPad so you've know idea where he is. 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

edited November 2016
    If you can bear to have an iPhone handy you can turn the monitor mix up yourself with most of these...they are normally a simple big slider display on phone that's hard to get confused using.
    edited November 2016
    There's is one advantage to these. Its not unusual to have an analogue mixer sitting within fiddling distance of punters.  That issue disappears with an iPad.
    I've taken to using an iPad mini to adjust my monitor mix, I can just leave that on my amp and use my phone for more important things like checking Facebook and being on here :)

Ipod touch is another cheap option if you don't want an iPhone
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Good point about iPod touch.
  • Two band gigs done with my new XR16. Bought a separate WiFi router and so far so good. We are keeping things simple at the moment with just two monitor mixes and the whole experience is great. Set up time is reduced drastically as there is no half hour messing around with the PA snake etc.
    edited November 2016
    Looking forrward to trying mine out live.  I just need to play with it a bit more... I'd say it could be easy enough to have a major fail live the first few attempts..I.e. accidentally have something muted on one of the secondary screens etc.
    Most mixer aps have a demo mode, so you can find your way around just sat on the sofa with your iPad. I normally do that before using a new one in a live environment. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Yeah, Anyone considering buying one should have a play with the app first.
    Well the problem with the DL1608 is with the lighting port dock connector on the desk. It's a shit design and one that was always going to give grieve when you consider how small it is. It'a known fault too because you can buy a Mackie DL Lightning Dock Service Kit for it for £45 !
    Oh well, it's been ordered now 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I was very impressed with the x18.     Apart from a couple of minutes while I puzzled out routing the aux bus to the aux out (was really obvious once I spotted it)   the sound check was quick and easy - being able to sit in the audience and tweak the mix was so much better than making a guess from the stage and going back and forward to check it and adjust.    I'm sure everything sounded a lot more clear as well. 
    What's the quality of  the compressors and the main effects like with the X18 ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk