Headstock clip on pickup thing for use with an iOS tuner app?

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4170
I really love the Peterson iOS app - I actually prefer using it to my Strobclip and would like to be able to use it live.

Peterson do a clip called the Pitchgrabber Mobile which clips onto the headstock like a clip on tuner and then plugs into your iPhone but they seem pretty unavailable in the UK and quite expensive. Anyone know of anything similar and more readily available?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    I'm almost certain I saw such a thing on Amazon the other day when I was looking for a clip-on tuner to recommend to a friend.
    Red ones are better. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4170
    TimmyO said:
    I'm almost certain I saw such a thing on Amazon the other day when I was looking for a clip-on tuner to recommend to a friend.
    Hmm...I've seen ones on there to plug into a tuner (i.e. With a 1/4 plug on the end) but not to plug into a smart phone...
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I am pretty sure that what you want is called a transducer clip and is often used for Piezo pickups.

HERE is one for a (P) 'Uke' that uses a 6.3mm jack and you just need to get that swapped to a decent quality 3.5mm jack and it *should* work.

£4.99 isn't much a risk to take but i reckon that will do it. Surely it just picks up vibration?

@ICBM ?
    What does NASA (Northern Amplifier Salvation Agency) think about this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lewy said:
    TimmyO said:
    Hmm...I've seen ones on there to plug into a tuner (i.e. With a 1/4 plug on the end) but not to plug into a smart phone...
    You may well be right - but I suspect Amazon sell another doohickey to achieve the conversion 
    Red ones are better. 
    Thanks - a fiver is probably worth a punt versus £20 plus for the Peterson equivalent. Although the Peterson plug isn't a simple mono one and I'm not sure why....

http://www.petersontuners.com/products/pitchgrabber/#PhotoSwipe1475088128338
    A good question...
    Red ones are better. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    edited September 2016
    That's a standard 4-pole 3.5mm jack that your iPhone headphones (which also have a microphone) use, from the tip to the base it's L/R/ground/mic.

The transducer merely supplies an audio signal to the tuner app, so only the ground and mic terminals are connected.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    That's a standard 4-pole 3.5mm jack that your iPhone headphones (which also have a microphone) use, from the tip to the base it's L/R/ground/mic.

The transducer merely supplies an audio signal to the tuner app, so only the ground and mic terminals are connected.
    Thanks!
  • Hi Lewy - Thomann have the pitchgrabber but it's £24 inc postage.