Latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10247
in Made in the UK tFB Trader

Here's another new Masterwound from Oil City: the 62-PRE. This new set was designed with the measurements and info gained from rewinding a genuine 1962 pre CBS Strat set, and features heavy Formvar wire, period accurate flatwork and hand beveled, vintage stagger magnets. It's sweet, warm and rounded, with singing harmonics, a nice alternative to our Masterwound Route 66 set that's based on a 67 rewind and is more gritty and aggressive.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    FFS ash. Since I got the pink tele with nocaster pickups the Strat is a bit to bland. Now I'm tempted. Again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So tell me ... do I really want staggered vintage correct polepieces when I'm using a plain G string?

To be fair, I've had staggered polepiece pickups and never noticed a volume difference.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10247
    tFB Trader
    So tell me ... do I really want staggered vintage correct polepieces when I'm using a plain G string?

To be fair, I've had staggered polepiece pickups and never noticed a volume difference.
    Some folks think it makes a lot of difference ... others like myself, get used to it and barely give the staggered/not staggered question a thought. Mostly folks have staggered pickups cos it looks cool and authentic. I find you soon adjust to vintage stagger, even if you can hear/feel a difference. I find it is only really an issue on high output Strat sets. That's why all my Stonetones are flush pole.
    After all, there's not a long queue of folks with vintage Strats at my door because vintage stagger makes them unplayable so they want 'modern' pickups ... :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cool - thanks!

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    I have a Abby Ybarra handwound set in my Stray, lovely singing sound but wondering about a more aggressive set? Difficult as reallly Luke what I have but bridge gain is weak.
    Amy suggestions?
    Jon
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Ash - if you were keeping a stagger but adapting it for the plain G would it have to be as low as the B string pole - or lower in theory?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10247
    tFB Trader
    Ash - if you were keeping a stagger but adapting it for the plain G would it have to be as low as the B string pole - or lower in theory?

I would say lower ... but not tried it :-)

JonHosker said:
    I have a Abby Ybarra handwound set in my Stray, lovely singing sound but wondering about a more aggressive set? Difficult as reallly Luke what I have but bridge gain is weak.
    Amy suggestions?
    Jon
    You could try a bridge base plate

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Finally found something cool to put that white Havoc in.....
     Behold...Havoc Kitty

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

9reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Can I make a suggestion?

For ultimate comedic effect, red LEDs can be placed in/behind Kitty's eyes, and then slits cut in the plate so that on a dark stage the guitar looks possessed.

A friend has done this, and it looks hilarious...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    impmann said:
    Can I make a suggestion?

For ultimate comedic effect, red LEDs can be placed in/behind Kitty's eyes, and then slits cut in the plate so that on a dark stage the guitar looks possessed.

A friend has done this, and it looks hilarious...
    DO THIS! That would be so cool, especially with RGB LED's that change colour. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom