Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Musical dreams/ambitions

What's Hot
joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
In a non cheesey way, what are your dreams in music?

Realistically for me, I'd like to record a 10 track album, and think fuck me that is good.  I have the ability to record it all myself, but just fear singing in the house.

Madness, I'd love to play Manchester arena and Red Rocks ampitheatre.

Doesn't matter how small or big, post em :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    To get to a professional level of drumming as efficiently as possible.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I agree about recording an album. Lyric writing and a fear of revealing too much of myself when singing makes it highly unlikely I ever will.

I've probably got enough part-completed songs to do two albums....
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    I've had a pretty good run really.  I had always wanted to own a big recording studio. I got that. Another ambition was to play a gig in  front of a huge crowd and I did that in 2008, over 100, 000 people, the biggest gig Portsmouth ever put on
    Always wanted to record an album, did that .... just wasn't very good :)

The biggest achievement though is earning a living by playing guitar, to gig all weekend, earn the money and then just dick about all week getting a tan in the garden and talking shit on here ...... it's not a bad life 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited August 2016
    I've joined a band which was on the list, and played some live gigs. 

I'm currently doing the (instrumental) album thing BUT my strength is not in production so I expect folk here to slate it for that, but then they can get off their @rses and show me what they can do. Bass/drums and general sound wont be top-notch production quality but at least I'll have had a stab. There's one song I want to add but guitars are down now for 9 tracks with most tracks nearly done and I don't know if I have it in me to do one more song... it's taking SO long, you have no idea. I've done almost everything myself except bass work by fretmeister on 4 tracks and drums for one or two tracks. I'm tempted to cut it short at 9 tracks and just polish what I've got. @ICBM and a few others have had a listen to some of the tracks - I think the guitars are good and interesting but I need to work on bass/drums/EQ etc... Folk must think I'm joking when I say I've got an album coming out but it's no joke - it's serious work. The guitars were largely done 8+ years ago (!!) and the rest has been a few added parts, bass, drums etc - basically finishing off what was started years ago (which drifted when I started my degree and then work). 
  • Actually I just counted and there are 11 songs right now. The extra one (which is EXCELLENT but a lot of effort to record from scratch) would take it to 12. Maybe for the second album, eh? ;)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28336
    I'd like 10,000 subscribers on YouTube. 9 years has netted me 269, so I'm gonna be pretty darned old at this rate.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I'd like to have a decent level of involvement in and play on an album that gets released by a 'proper' small independent. I'm 42 now, and think it still could happen at some point.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Seems we mostly share the same views

Maybe I'll start an album thread as a motivator ;)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    My music dream is very simple.

I just want to carry on enjoying it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited August 2016
    Finish the album I'm working on now, and go from there. Just need to wait for when Jupiter aligns with Mars, or something something miracle or something like that.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    I wanted to get a guitar, get good enough to be in a band, play in front of people and record a bit. I've done all that and if I had to stop now I'd be pleased with how it's all gone.

I'd like to play some bigger gigs but not so many that it stops being such an adventure. 

Fantasy land: Get the Marc Ford/Audley Freed/Luther Dickinson slot when the Black Crowes reform. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

scrumhalf said:

agreed all the way mate,

but surely that needs targets or something?

Or are you happy carrying on as a player purely as a hobby?
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    edited August 2016
    - Make a comfortable and healthy living as a guitar pedal tester.
    - Record at least one full LP and get it properly distributed.
    - Be a regular fixture on one of the moderately large metal/rock festivals scattered over the UK
    - Just carry on playing shows, recording, jamming, and staying creative under my arms fall off
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'll be happy if I can keep finding ways to enjoy playing. 

Ive been gigging for almost 30 years which is a bit scary but I'm still at my happiest onstage playing guitar with other musicians.  
    Targets for the next few months finish wrIting and record an album with my new originals band and be regularly gigging,  and increase the profile and number/size of gigs for my latest two cover/tribute bands. 
    So yeah - just more and more playing and I'll be happy. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    My musical dream is that my fingers don't completely succumb to arthritis.

Guitar playing has always been just a hobby to me and I've never held any ambitions of hitting the big time -  apart from when I was about 14 years old. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Neil said:
    My musical dream is that my fingers don't completely succumb to arthritis.

Pretty similar. And to keep gigging

Plus - to be a competent (rather than brilliant) jazz player. Tired of getting by with bluffer licks & tricks.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    joeyowen said:
    scrumhalf said:

agreed all the way mate,

but surely that needs targets or something?

Or are you happy carrying on as a player purely as a hobby?
    Yep, happy to be a hobbyist. Many years ago I was given some sage advice by a (up to that point shockingly useless) careers adviser at university. Don't make a career out of your hobby, because if you end up hating it and want to do something else you risk losing both your career and your hobby.

My targets are very wide-ranging. I want to be able to listen to great music (and having had some bad ear trouble in the last 18 months that is very precious to me). I want to be able to pick up a guitar as I please and play stuff. And when other things are turning to shit (work/business pressures, things like that) I want it to be there, untainted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A wiz for the career adviser there.

When i went to Uni, I didn't do music.  Because after a long day of studying, I wanted to come home and enjoy guitar.  Same reason I've never been a guitar tutor, it's a hobby.

However, I would do it as a living if it was gigging (and social hours, so never going to happen)
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited August 2016
    Just to hear my wife, my children and their children playing music into my old age. Oh and conquering Etude by Al di Meola. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Just to be able to play what's in my head straight on the guitar.