AX8 or FX8 w/Amplifire - what would you do

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
OK, a question for the Fractal boys on here - @Wazmeister @octatonic @Moltisanti  (apologies to those I have missed!!)

The time has come to make the final jump, more and more of our gigs are now pushing towards (for me anyway) direct FOH, which means I need to either step up to the AX8 or stick with the FX8 and add an amp modeller to the board.

The dilemma I have is that ultimately I will need to sell the FX8 to get the AX8 (or at least once the AX8 is here!!), but I am wondering if by adding an Amplifire to the FX8  - will it give me all that I need - I don't need 4000 different amp models, I basically need a core of trad amps such as Fender's, Marshall's and a couple of high gainers (BE and a few Boogies).

The "ease of use in one box" option is obviously the AX8, but I am also keeping the Shiva to use for the larger gigs where we have space etc to use a backline (we are in a fortunate position as a band to have 2 PA's at our disposal and we will essentially have 2 set-ups - one for the direct gigs, one for the backline gigs).

I want to keep one pedalboard, so if I go AX8 I have to factor in amp switching, unity gains etc etc, so a lot of headache to think about - or is it??

If I stay FX8, then the whole unity gain goes away, switching goes away and I just have the headache of midi'ing up the Amplifire to the FX8 and enlarging my pedalboard somehow to accomodate the unit.

Typing this, it feels like the FX8 + Amplifire is the way to go, but am I essentially taking the lesser path in doing this?

What do you guys think?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Stick with one box.

It will be far too complicated to have two boxes to deal with and control.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I've had the fx8 and currently have an ax8 and amplifire.     

The ax8 and AF both sound really good and I think run the AF via the FX8 would sound great.   

imo the pro's to the AF are the sounds of the amps,  the cons are the editing and effects - both are ok but don't compare to the fractal - hopefully the effects will improve with further updates but that won't matter if you use an fx8 as well.   The editing is great with a computer but so far I've found the onboard editing to be awkward - having said that if you just want to tweak the amp settings you should be fine.

The ax8 is fantastic as an all in one solution and easy to edit direct or via software.   It doesn't have any relay outs though so you would need a midi to jack magic box to control your amp unless you use the ax8 as a preamp into the bogner fx return.
    (you could run both of course and di to the pa from out1 and out 2 to the bogner).

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    @John_P oops!! forgot about you!! - do you use the AX8 and AF together? or is just that you have the option of both?

Does the AF have an FX loop on it? SO I can essentially still run Post/Pre from the FX8?

@monquixote - yeah, I have wondered about that but my logic is that the AF will be controlled by the FX8 and once I have my core amp tones down, it shouldn't need tweaking..
    No I have two board -   the AX8 plus two exp pedals, wireless and tuner on a PT3 is my main board and the AF with a soul press is the baby board -  I didn't want to lug the big one around all the time and I was aware I had no backup if I ever had a problem so made a tiny board - I was playing and camping at a festival last week so the little board was easier. 

The AF does have an effects loop but I haven't used it yet.    It also uses those sockets for expression pedals so you can't do both.       I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work great though.

You would lose the xlr outputs as a di though and need a di box to run from the fx8 to PA but that's not a big deal.    

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I tried to integrate the Amplifire to the fx8 and it went horribly 
    I like both the devices in isolation but they don't do well together
    John_P said:

You would lose the xlr outputs as a di though and need a di box to run from the fx8 to PA but that's not a big deal.    

@John_P can you explain this in a little more detail? - I'm confused LOL
    Cabicular said:
    I tried to integrate the Amplifire to the fx8 and it went horribly 
    I like both the devices in isolation but they don't do well together
    @Cabicular  Ah, OK.....what went wrong?
    welshboyo said:
    John_P said:

@John_P can you explain this in a little more detail? - I'm confused LOL
    If you go fx8 to AF then you can use the xlr outputs on the AF to the PA.      if you put the AF in the loop then going FX8 to PA would need a di box.   
    tFB Trader
    welshboyo said:
    @John_P oops!! forgot about you!! - do you use the AX8 and AF together? or is just that you have the option of both?

Does the AF have an FX loop on it? SO I can essentially still run Post/Pre from the FX8?

@monquixote - yeah, I have wondered about that but my logic is that the AF will be controlled by the FX8 and once I have my core amp tones down, it shouldn't need tweaking..
    There are loads of potential nasties awaiting you like the Amplifire not liking the output of of the AX8 or vice versa (you know how picky digital boxes can be) or even worse MIDI incompatibilities, or different switching delays etc.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I just couldn't get it to sound good in the loop 
    then I had all sorts of grounding issues that I had to introduce isolators to deal with
    and the XLR outs on the amplifire don't have ground lifts so there was an extra DI box required
    if it sounded great I would live with the hassle but the fx8 drives and the Amplifire drives are quite jarring when run next to each other
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i've only tried the FX8, but from the sound of it you'll have less hassle and a better solution long term with the AX8.
    From what i've read it's not hard to sort the unity gain and it's no noisier than the FX8.
    ballache selling it now etc, but probably worth it in the long run

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444

I currently own both the FX8 (MK 1) and the AX8...

I would echo earlier advice and say stick to the one box.

The amp and cab modelling, even with a real amp, are very good indeed and have surprised me how much I like them.

In fact, I am genuinely torn between the two; the AX8 offers more variety and the ability to assign footswitches with a magnitude of options, whereas (as you have noted) the FX8 is simpler and offers unity.

I'd plum for the AX8 in summary.

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I've owned both although only have the AX8 at present. I'd go with what @wazmeister says. Go for the AX8 - its got everything in there.
    The more I think about it,  I would go with just the ax8,  the amplifire has impressed me but it would be easier to sort channel switching from the ax8 to the Bogner than a combined fx8/AF rig.
    Plus you might find you like using the AX8 as a preamp with Bogner instead of 4cm when you use backline.   I went through the same process with my evh and it was easier as well giving more options. 
    Cool, AX8 it is then by the looks of it.

Thanks All for your input and for helping spend my money!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590

I currently own both the FX8 (MK 1) and the AX8...

I would echo earlier advice and say stick to the one box.

The amp and cab modelling, even with a real amp, are very good indeed and have surprised me how much I like them.

In fact, I am genuinely torn between the two; the AX8 offers more variety and the ability to assign footswitches with a magnitude of options, whereas (as you have noted) the FX8 is simpler and offers unity.

I'd plum for the AX8 in summary.

Option 3: second hand AxeFX
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    Amplifire amp modelling is nowhere near AX8 in its capability or sound. Stick to ax8.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    Amplifire amp modelling is nowhere near AX8 in its capability or sound. Stick to ax8.
    Don't agree with that at all.
    mrkb said:
    Don't agree with that at all.
    Imo there isn't a lot of difference with the quality of amp tones, especially if you start to add your own IR's.  The AX8 adds a lot more options for tweaking though that can make it easier to get the sounds you want.    If the amp models you want are in the AF then it sounds great.