From bedroom tae Hall/gig

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
edited August 2016 in Amps

anyone get the fright of their lives when they "made the step up" tae a rehearsal hall or gig after many years playing at friendly TV volumes at home?

I am planning my 1st venture out in a while to a rehearsal hall soon, just for kicks, and I am half expecting to shit myself since it's been sooooo long since I twanged a G string in anger at volume......

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yep, near shit myself as a 16 yr old when my guitar teacher got me up to play a song at one of his gigs, apparently it had all been arranged with my dad, just no one told me!!!
    the first time I hit the low E on his Les Paul through a 2x12 jcm800 I physically jumped. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Earplugs!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    It's always shockingly loud when you play with someone on full acoustic kit. I get the earplugs in ASAP once the drummer gets the snare on the stand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    +1 for earplugs my friend, I wouldn't wish my crushing tinnitus on anyone.
  • Honestly, right... every week for 2-3 hours we play LOUD. Loud drummer so we're all loud. And at least 2 members every time don't wear ear plugs. Every week! They're going to have serious problems in future. I keep mentioning, but they just don't listen. I can't believe it!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    You learnt new skills
    mainly around how to not make a noise 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    ...we're all loud. And at least 2 members every time don't wear ear plugs. Every week! They're going to have serious problems in future. I keep mentioning, but they just don't listen.
    They probably do listen. They just can't hear you.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    HAL9000 said:
    ...we're all loud. And at least 2 members every time don't wear ear plugs. Every week! They're going to have serious problems in future. I keep mentioning, but they just don't listen.
    They probably do listen. They just can't hear you.
    I was just about to type the same thing
  • Very good :)
  • Honestly, right... every week for 2-3 hours we play LOUD. Loud drummer so we're all loud. And at least 2 members every time don't wear ear plugs. Every week! They're going to have serious problems in future. I keep mentioning, but they just don't listen. I can't believe it!
    Yep our drummer never wore them.  Madness!!!
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    edited August 2016
    IMHO the loudness is one issue and one of the things to manage early on. I was in a covers band where the lead guitarist wanted to be louder than the guitar guitarist and me (on bass). We basically ganged up on the guy and forced him to resolve his monitoring problems without constantly turning up. We would stop the rehearsal and make him raise and angle his amp at him. He was a long time bedroom player without any band experience. He's great now. 

The other issue is the nerves in a new situation. I joined a band before I could play and so rehearsals were never a problem. I got really nervous in front of an audience and I had to sort that. My desire to play was greater than my nerves. 

I've been doing various live stuff on various instruments in various styles since 1980 to audiences ranging from 2 to 10000. I shouldnt be nervous, ever. However a new situation makes me nervous. I auditioned for a couple of bands on guitar in 2012 and 2013. I joined both bands (left shortly after) but I was really nervous. This year I'm doing a start up, when I auditioned the drummer, on my kit in my house and I've known him years, I was nervous. 

So short answer get on with it. Long one, learn the material really well, have confidence in your abilities and have a fallback plan when things go wrong. For example if the solo goes off, keep it off a bit more, resolve to the root and convey the impression that you are influenced by John Scofield. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5144
    Fright of my life? No. It's fucking brilliant. Puts a big ol' smile on my face every time :D

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

If this is turning into a "the other guitarist in my band constantly turns up his volume after s/c, and it's ruining our live sound, and I want to kill him", then count me in.

WRT to OP. Is it just playing loud on your own, or with others? You never need to be that loud to be honest. But yeah it's fun. However, fuck ups sound waaaaay worse.

• Earplugs!
    Are you sure your a guitarist?  Earplugs and light weight gear... Ummmm.  Maybe you should take up something else ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tried sign language? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    edited August 2016
    Honestly, right... every week for 2-3 hours we play LOUD. Loud drummer so we're all loud. And at least 2 members every time don't wear ear plugs. Every week! They're going to have serious problems in future. I keep
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Honestly, right... every week for 2-3 hours we play LOUD. Loud drummer so we're all loud. And at least 2 members every time don't wear ear plugs. Every week! They're going to have serious problems in future. I keep mentioning, but they just don't listen. I can't believe it!
    my hearing is now ruined, i have about 40% in my left ear and infuriating tinnitus in the other. It all from touring and rehearsing over the last ten years. The last year i was in the band we moved over to IEM's, but these didn't really help as the monitor mixes were often shared so volume and angry frequencies were often increased. I do have custom moulded ear plugs, but the damage was already done, i use them a lot now though, even when i go to the drag racing!

My hearing fatigues very quickly now, i can mix or record guitars for about 20 minutes before i lose the low end and top end frequencies, so i have to mix in small bursts.