Putting frets into fretboard before attaching to neck?

What's Hot
Bad idea? No problem?

For technical reasons this would appear to be the best way to achieve something ambitious that I am trying to do. Is it likely to be problematic?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Could cause the fretboard to curl end to end......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Gibson do it , but it's not my preference as you can spoil the flatness of your carefully prepared board when glueing it to the neck

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    What he said,  some do it but I never have
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    ^^ Same as above!! We never do it either, there's a few too many pitfalls and its makes the the build more awkward. 
    Find a way to clamp and apply the pressure on the actual board whilst gluing, not the frets!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    That's not a definitive no so I think I'm gonna try it (I have reasons). Thanks people.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    edited August 2016 tFB Trader
    I seem to be a bit different to everybody else then, when I'm making my own builds or guitars that I sell on the forum, I always fret the necks before I glue the neck into the body, never really had any problems with this. However when I'm selling my set neck guitars to other custom builders the neck is glued in without the frets. I should say this is more because the custom builders want to put in their own inlays and fret markers and do their own fret work.

A guitar like a Les Paul, should be no problem with fretting before the neck is glued in, as there is about 50mm of neck wood after the end of the finger board, even more on a LPJ. I put one G clamp on this piece of wood another on the fretboard. I use a piece of MDF to protect the frets and the fingerboard this seems to work okay for me.

EDIT
           Sorry miss read the question, so for get the above. I have fretted finger boards be for gluing them to the neck, but only when replacing the fingerboard on an acoustic guitar. But I don't recommend as other people said quite difficult to get the fingerboard  on in the right place and flat. I also used to do it when I first started making Les Pauls as per the Gibson way, very quickly decided was not way to do it.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• I've only ever made a fretboard once so I'm no expert, but I fretted it before attaching to the neck because I thought it would make it easier to finish the frets at the top end.  It made the board bow slightly, which in itself wasn't a problem when I clamped it onto the neck, but it also seemed to make the frets very reluctant to stay fully seated.  I spent ages tapping them down and thought I was just useless at doing it, but as soon as it was stuck on the neck and held flat they all seated easily.

So if I did it again I think I'd stick it to the neck before fretting (obviously cut the slots first though).
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    GSPBASSES said:
    I seem to be a bit different to everybody else then, when I'm making my own builds or guitars that I sell on the forum, I always fret the necks before I glue the neck into the body, never really had any problems with this. However when I'm selling my set neck guitars to other custom builders the neck is glued in without the frets. I should say this is more because the custom builders want to put in their own inlays and fret markers and do their own fret work.

A guitar like a Les Paul, should be no problem with fretting before the neck is glued in, as there is about 50mm of neck wood after the end of the finger board, even more on a LPJ. I put one G clamp on this piece of wood another on the fretboard. I use a piece of MDF to protect the frets and the fingerboard this seems to work okay for me.

do you fret the fretboard before attaching to the neck though?

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:

@gspbasses - Jon meant fretting the board before gluing it to the neck as opposed to before attaching the neck to body

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27433
    Gibson do it
    axisus said:
    That's not a definitive no
    Are you sure???

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    I always get the board fretted first before gluing on, I used to do it the other way round.

I haven't had a problem so far, make sure your fret slots aren't too tight
    I also press frets in which helps imo.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    edited September 2016
    Shaping the board to allow for neck curvature under string tension is an important part of guitar construction for me.
    it allows for even and on spec fret heights and the avoidance of common issues with board curvature.
    This has to be done as the final stage before fretting and can't be achieved if you pre-fret the board.

I can't think of any design feature that would prevent doing it this way. 

Seek perfection not convenience.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    DamianP said:
    Seek perfection not convenience.
    Ha! Last time I followed that advice I ended up wetting myself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom