Anyone on here speak a foreign language fluently?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
edited August 2016 in Off Topic
My wife's cousin married a Latvian born American woman and they live in France.
His little 5 year old son already speaks Engish, French and Latvian fluently.

I can speak English, American and Australian   But no other languages apart from a smattering of French and Korean.

Any of you folks multilingual?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can speak pretty good Polish.
    9reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5773
    English/Welsh it's easy if you're brought up with it.

Gets harder the older you get.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i can speak French fluently, although i haven't for a long time

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Not me but my kids are bilingual. My wife always spoke to them in her native language and the grew up here. Still amazes me after 20 years when they just switch languages without even thinking. It's also a guaranteed A* at GCSE and A level without much effort.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Used to speak Spanish but you don't use it you lose it. I ought to get back into it. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    A girl I fancied at school had an Indian father and a German mother ( how they met and ended up in Wolverhampton I don't know) and being fluent in three languages probably helped her walk into the air hostess job she wanted. Although being beautiful with deep dark eyes and caramel skin probably helped...sigh...

Somewhat to my chagrin that neither of my kids has done a language as far as GCSE. On holiday in France we ended up speaking to French, Dutch and Polish people all with great English and we couldn't do much beyond ordering a coffee and you do feel an idiot. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Nope. A fair bit of Japanese but not fluent.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited August 2016
    Calling @DLM.
    I learnt beginner's German when I thought I was moving that way but that's about it. 
    Other than the languages of love and music. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I remember a smattering of French and German from school but regret not being better at them.

The singer in my band is half-Taiwanese, half-English and speaks English and Mandarin fluently, as well as a fair bit of Japanese and (I think) some Cantonese (doesn't that share a fair amount with Mandarin?).

We're planning to write an EP with lyrics in Mandarin, to see if we can break into the Chinese market. Seems a smart move to me.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    I speak enough Greek to get by off the beaten tourist track. I wish I could do better but I fear the only way is to immerse yourself in the language completely, i.e. live there.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    English, mackem and a bit of geordie.
    Probably easier to study Japanese than geordie.

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    My dad is fluent in English, Dutch, German and Russian, and fairly decent in French too
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @thomasross20 Thanks for the fanfare, Tiggs!

Yeah, German fluent, like. 'S my job, n'all.
    Wor lass is Dutch, and I can get by in conversation, but can't read anything complicated and really struggle with broadcasts. Couldn't write it for toffee.
    Schoolboy French is a distant memory. I can remember lots of vocab, but couldn't use it to communicate with. Or to really understand it, I was trying to watch this the other day:

It was a hoot, and @DLM's_Girl cracked up at "le Stratocasteur", but if I hadn't a general idea of what he'd be saying from the visuals, I'd not have understood anything.
    That's me. Disgrace, really, given that I clearly have the knack. It does take a lot of effort, though. Immersion for me was easier than learning rules, though I did chew through a lot of vocab on a daily basis for several years to get going.

As for kiddiwinks, if they can have meaningful relationships, they can pick up about seven languages at the same time if they start early enough. I know several families with trilingual kids. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Pretty close in Greek.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    an old drummer of mine was Greek, but his family moved to Germany and he was studying at university in England and could speak all 3 fluently. 
    It amazed me when he told me he dreams in all three languages I would have thought asleep you'd default to your native tongue?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    It's also a guaranteed A* at GCSE and A level without much effort.
    You'd think, but it's not guaranteed. A kid at my senior school had a French mother and he was bilingual. Everyone assumed he'd waltz through his GCE French but he only got a C. Still can't figure out how, maybe he used lots of slang? Our teacher was mortified. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    It's also a guaranteed A* at GCSE and A level without much effort.
    By that logic we'd all get A*s at English! :P
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Nope. Wish I could.

My mum was ace at languages, she did French, Russian, Spanish, Italian and Latin in Education. At 14 she went on an exchange trip to France and her French was so good that people thought she was a native.

Worked with a lovely woman who was fluent in French and English, as was her daughter. She preferred English but her daughter preferred French. She said that they would get funny looks when out and about as they would converse with eachother, one speaking French and the other answering in English.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    My Mrs says I talk bollocks, but it isn't really a foreign language. 

I got an A in French at GCSE, but I can't remember much anymore. It's a shame as it would be a nice asset to have. 

Many cousin has lived in Spain since her early 20s (she married a Spanish bloke), and all her kids are bilingual. It's strange to hear them talk to each other as they mix and match both languages. 

I'd love to be able to speak Spanish. Such a pretty language. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    I speak C#, SQL and Javascript pretty well.  It pays the mortgage but it's sod-all use when you're in Barcelona trying to order a couple of beers and some tapas. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom