Chord of the week 3/9/16 - a B5add9(noRoot) by Stevie Ray Vaughan in Let's Dance by David Bowie

Following last week's Stevie Ray Vaughan tribute on the anniversary of his death, here's another SRV-ism that I played in the same solo. He derived it from Albert King's trick of bending down from the high string of an upside-down strung guitar & catching the other strings on the way.
For my 'Things That I Used To Do' solo, I was in the key of G, so a fretted the C at the 8th fret at the top string & bent it up to D, meanwhile catching the 2nd string and bending that up from a G to an A. As I was playing over a D chord at the time the notes D and A give a boring old D5 chord, but over the key chord of G it gives a more interesting and mysterious G5add9(noRoot), and this is how SRV himself used it in the most famous of many instances, his solo at the end of Bowie's Let's Dance. That's in the key of Bm so the chord is

B5add9(noRoot): x x x x 10(->12) 10(->12)

you can hear it at 3:43 in Let's Dance and at 1:17 in my Things That I Used To Do solo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments