Fender American Standard series about to be discontinued (according to the STRATosphere)

What's Hot
WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
edited September 2016 in Guitar
Purveyors of parted-out guitars STRATosphere just sent me a mailer telling me to grab American Standard components now because discontinuation of the entire line is imminent... truth? Fiction? 

Seems surprising if so. Thought that line would always anchor the catalogue.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That really would be bonkers. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    I've said for some time that I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue the entire American production range other than the vintage reissues and the Custom Shop - or even amalgamate those as well. The Mexican range is where the big sales are coming from now I think - to me they're the best guitars Fender make other than the CS now too - and the prices are getting close to the US models in some cases. It may be that the economics of manufacturing at below CS in the US just doesn't add up any more.

@MattFGBI may be able to say if I'm wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    edited September 2016
    I have never owned a US standard, I've had a few CS's, AVRI's etc, but have always found (as ISBM says above) that the quality of the supposed "lower" grade instruments from MIM/MIJ actually surpass the US standards.

And also the days of it being made in the US by the original tooling etc are long gone, its probably the exact same machinery, designs and processes just in a different postcode!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    edited September 2016
    I liked the idea of the Standard though - tweak the formula a little every few years but keep it the essence of the instrument, whether Tele, Strat, P-bass or whatever. I even think that despite the fact it costs thrice as much as it did 20 years ago it's still not a bad value compared to other US-made instruments in the same bracket.

I have an American Standard P-bass from 2008 and it's a terrific plank, have not heard a bass that records as well as it does. Great neck too, satiny enough so as not to feel slippy and rolled fingerboard edges.

The stuff that is sold as the 'Elite' series now is probably where the Standard should have gone, it's just done so too slowly and Fender loves to line-fill. Wonder if that'll be around too or if they are just going to go all-out on the AVRI series since guitarists fear change.

Edit: I guess it's possible they are discontinuing the EXISTING Am Std in favour of a 2017 revamped model that'll run for a few years too. And it could just be STRATosphere trying to hype this up and get people to panic buy, even though the new stuff may not be markedly all that different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think with guitars this might make sense.

With basses I'd be a bit gutted though.  I like the graphite re-inforced necks on the standards, and have no interest in the onboard preamp or noiseless jazz pickups that come on the elite model.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    edited September 2016
    Ha, I had a chat a month or so ago with a Fender dealer, who said this 'might' happen. However, it won't be permanent, perhaps only for a couple of/few years and then they'll re-introduce the all new US Standard yadda yadda again. The idea would be in the meantime, to push the new Elite series, American vintage series and keep coming out with the yearly specials ('magnificent 7' etc). The US standard may go, but it won't be gone for good.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Could it simply be a "rename" to something else, but which would essentially be the same and made in US?
    Babones said:
    Ha, I had a chat a month or so ago with a Fender dealer, who said this might happen. However, it won't be permanent, perhaps only for a couple of/few years and then they'll re-introduce the all new US Standard yadda yadda again. The idea would be in the meantime, to push the new Elite series and keep coming out with the yearly specials ('magnificent 7' etc). The US standard may go, but it won't be gone for good.
    The ol' PRS "Custom 22" marketing trick, huh?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think with guitars this might make sense.

With basses I'd be a bit gutted though.  I like the graphite re-inforced necks on the standards, and have no interest in the onboard preamp or noiseless jazz pickups that come on the elite model.
    The one Fender I have bad gas for is a Mex!

The Classic 50s Precision. Great instrument - BUT as noted above the prices for Mex stuff is now the same as US was only a couple of years ago. £1000 for a Classic, even more for the lacquer finish or roadworn.

The Classic 50s Precision. Great instrument - BUT as noted above the prices for Mex stuff is now the same as US was only a couple of years ago. £1000 for a Classic, even more for the lacquer finish or roadworn.
    I used to have one, in Honey Blonde... it was so very good - decided I only needed one P-bass though and hung on to the US one! 

I also paid £450 for it brand new. Eeeeek, has the price gone up...
  • How interesting. 

Is this why Japanese models are officially available here again, to plug potential gaps in the market?

• The US standards always had thick finishes, bland pickups, overly heavy tuners and IMO pointless bi-flex rods. Only thing I liked is the radius. The highway series was much better value and more vibey.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Marketing plan. 
  • For a long time the American standard was the core of the Corona factory production these days so many other STrat versions made in Mexico and other factories have the vibe people want. 

The  standard was originally the go to guitar for the average gigging player but these day much less so.

also they have not really made it much of a platform for new innovations 
    Whitecat said:
    Purveyors of parted-out guitars STRATosphere just sent me a mailer telling me to grab American Standard components now because discontinuation of the entire line is imminent... truth? Fiction? 

Rereading this, can you clarify, they're saying to grab "American Standard components"? And the discontinuiation is of the components, not the whole guitar? If that's the case then it may simply be that the components are being changed/upgraded on the American Standard????
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14231
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
    does this mean, more 'customised' 'hot rod' Mex models with C/Shop pick-ups and tweaks, so Mex models for close to 1K - I'm sure they will make more profit on a customised Mex at £800/1000 than a USA model with a similar price tag - just a hunch !!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited September 2016
    paul_c2 said:
    Whitecat said:

Rereading this, can you clarify, they're saying to grab "American Standard components"? And the discontinuiation is of the components, not the whole guitar? If that's the case then it may simply be that the components are being changed/upgraded on the American Standard????
    This is the exact wording -

"The Fender American Standard® series will soon be discontinued. We have a limited selection of necks, bodies, hardware and electronics. Take advantage now of these closeout parts while they last!"

This company obtains its inventory by breaking up existing guitars and selling off parts, so if the guitar goes, so does their supply. 
    So it could be that Stratosphere are simply discontinuing breaking up the American Standard?
    paul_c2 said:
    So it could be that Stratosphere are simply discontinuing breaking up the American Standard?
    I would imagine they would have more clearly stated that if it were the case, but until we know for sure anything is possible...
    New rumour: line will take its place called "American Pro".