Re-lining a guitar case

SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7039

I quite like the new Gibson Custom Shop cases with the yellow lining that come with the newer ES models. I couldn’t persuade Gibson to sell me one of theirs aftermarket so I decided I’d reline a black case in yellow velvet just almost like the Gibson ones.

I used a Spider brand case as they are cheap and sturdy. The black fur lining ripped out easily leaving the wooden shell. 

It took a little while working out how best to construct the interior. I made patterns of each piece of velvet before cutting. I remade the accessory compartment and neck supports, adding a second support for security. The original was just expanded polystyrene but I made the new ones from poplar.

Spider guitar case relined with yellow velvet 

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

Relined case with ES-330

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the work in-progress.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Nice job............I have hankered after a Brown Lifton with Pink lining for my 335..............<sigh> I wish I were more practical.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Nice! :)

• That is truly beautiful - have a wow!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72435
    That's a great job - I wouldn't have guessed it wasn't factory if I didn't know. I've never seen anyone go to the trouble of doing that before!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein