New workshop time (nearly there...)

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    octatonic said:
    I think he is probably constructing one of these:

Slight correction.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    So he's making a Mrs Robo-Sporky?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    I am surprisingly handsome, it's true.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    octatonic said:
    So he's making a Mrs Robo-Sporky?
    I'd say just another Robo-Sporky.  I'm not sure that they're defined by gender ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    As Drew probably wouldn't say, I might have been born a robot-monkey-sea-otter but I identify as the Norwegian Royal Zeppelin Armada.
    And the electrics are done. It is slightly brighter in there than it is on the surface of the sun. Ace. Massive armoured cable run, lots of sockets at high-ish level. Nearly there now - take the ducting back down (last bits arriving tomorrow), foam the brackets, get it all screwed and taped together and back up ready for the extractor to arrive next week. Then the machinery move is on the 29th and I should be up and running before the end of the year.

The electrician is just sweeping up so I'll get photos later.
    Last bit of ducting arrived this morning, and I have photos of the electrics. Distribution board on the left, leaving space for some racking, then the little spur for the air con, a row of sockets for the bench and then sockets for each set of machines. Also you can see the LED strip lights - they are phenomenally bright.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/new_workshop/131216electrics/electrics1.jpg

Round the other side the sockets continue (the trunking is level, it's the ceiling that slopes) and a 16A socket for the extractor.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/new_workshop/131216electrics/electrics2.jpg

I also started a spreadsheet to track all the costs. Erp.

Even better! The free TPLink powerline Wifi extender I got from a work-chum works flawlessly across the electrickery link. Marvellous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Nice work Sporky, beginning to look like a workshop now.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

It's getting there. This evening I put a load more screws into the ducting and mounted the last two drops and the branch for the big CNC machine. I think the latter could do with being glued to the roof as well as screwed.
    Another lull coming up; the extractor has been collected and the machine movers are storing it until the 29th. Groundwork chaps are back on Friday to put in a fence panel on the right and a gate on the left, and then shingle the area round the workshop. They're also making up some ramps for the machine movers out of some scrap ply they had spare - only on loan, but it'll save me a couple of hundred quid in buying a sheet of 24mm ply just to have it get muddy and thrown away.

Having worked through the spend so far the aircon is going to wait a while and I'll make my own bench and keep the current wooden stand for the CNC machine. I'm about five grand over what I'd guesstimated - not a disaster because it was worth doing it right, but time to be pragmatic about it until I've replenished the savings a bit.

I'll do a bit more ducting work this evening - might get it finished, might not. Iv'e got some breathing space so no massive rush any more.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Outstanding work Sporks 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited December 2016
    You've not seen it up close. :s

I got the last two bits of duct cut and mounted, put a few extra screws into carious joints and started taping. That duct tape stuff is horrible. Any opportunity and it coils up on itself. I did get half a dozen joints done so only a bazillion more to go. Need to ove the pullcord for the lights now the last drop is in place. Gah.
    This morning I got my last payslip from the previous job; turns out I had some holiday unused (doesn't seem like me) and they're paying me the equivalent, so I've ordered the aircon now. That's going in on the 3rd or 4th. Quite fortunate timing as the price was going to go up 6% in January.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    Some you win ...
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Fourteen joints taped in about an hour this evening, and screws put into all but two - the ones on the ends of the robot pants. They'll wait until the extractor is here, because I'm going to connect the extractor using rigid duct rather than flexible - much more efficient.

Twenty seven joints to go.
    Shingle's going down around the workshop now. Fence and gate a bit later.
    They're back on Monday. In the meantime I have finished screwing and taping the ducting junctions, apart from the last bit of the main duct to the extractor which I can't do until the extractor is here.

Aircon arrives on the 3rd, installation on the 4th.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    @Sporky where did you get the led strip lights? I need to replace the fluorescents in my workshop and fancy going LED. Do they fit existing fluorescent fittings, or use a different mounting method?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1