I just saw McFly

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
BLOODY HELL they were good.

No band I can think of gets so much entirely unjustified stick.

Every song was a huge singalong, they're some truly exceptional pop songwriters. They're also very good players, very good singers and pulled off everything brilliantly. They're funny in between songs and seem like a really nice bunch of blokes.

I don't understand why everyone seems to take the piss out of them - they really don't deserve it. Better than 90% of the newer rock bands doing the rounds at the minute.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    Thanks for the post - I gotta check their music out tomorrow. AFAIU people have taken the p*ss out of the likes of Hendrix, the Beatles, ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a soft spot for Busted at the time. I always believed that the best pop was bubblegum-with-guitars.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

saw McBusted a couple of years ago - went along with the missus expecting to find it fun but a bit rubbish.

Oh my - they're impressive.

So good and so much energy.

Huge respect for Tom Fletcher and Co

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    They are good Connor and they've got the playing, singing, performance, songs and hooks too plus, they're big Jellyfish fans !!!!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I've always been a big fan of mcFly. They write, they can sing and they can play. I've always seen them as a superb band. Not the sort of stuff I would buy, but they get a big thumbs up just for being there.

I've not particularly noticed flak over them. Maybe I don't move in those circles.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've always loved them. Seen them love a few times and theyve put some big bands to shame imo. 

They love what they do, can't complain! 
  • joeyowen said:
    Seen them love a few times... 
    Blimey... didn't realise it was that kind of show!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it's easy to see what people turned people off initially - they were part of that "boy bands who can play" fad. They looked like Wand Erection's Niall when he picks up a guitar. But a good show is a good show, so good on them.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    There's Jellyfish influence all over their stuff so I have no problem with them - they do it well and can all play great
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    joeyowen said:
    Seen them love a few times... 
    Blimey... didn't realise it was that kind of show!
    ha, me neither!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Although I don't actually own any of their albums, I do like them, therefore they get no stick from me.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
    Not my cup of tea, but I've always thought they were obviously good songwriters and they seem to be able to play so they are alright in my book.

Also they wrote "The Dinosaur That Pooped a Planet" which is one of my kids favorite books so they are must be cool.
  • They write that stuff?

It ain't my bag but fair play to them then. I don't go for all this music snobbery pop bashing biz. The only sh*te music is metal.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Properly jealous. I've always had a soft spot for them. "Star Girl" is an absolute banger. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I think their playing has improved since the early days.  I remember seeing a live performance of them on TV when they were the latest big thing that was rather ropey.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2016
    crunchman said:
    I think their playing has improved since the early days.  I remember seeing a live performance of them on TV when they were the latest big thing that was rather ropey.
    They're good! Neither of the guitarists are virtuosos but they play nice solos here and there. I really like this one from Tom Fletcher at 2:47:

And this one from Danny Jones at 2:08 is cracking:

Dougie is a really good bass player too. Better than a lot of others in big rock bands at the minute.

And their harmonies were spot-on.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."