New Gary Clark Jr. Live album in the works

What's Hot
was perusing the online Gruniad today, there was an interview with Gary Clark Jnr. A new live album is on the way!

really looking forward to this, the last live album was fantastic.

also think it's a really smart move for him. With his studio albums he likes to do his own thing and blend a few styles, funk, contemporary hip hop/soul as well as straight up blues and blues rock. Unfortunately, that sort of alienates a lot of the more traditional 'crossroads' blues crowd.

by doing this he can follow his own thing in the studio, and reach out to more traditional blues fans also. Smart.

really looking forward to this. That set from Glasto last year was utterly brilliant.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    Anyone picked up 'live in North America' yet? 

Im feeling the tracks from 'sonny boy slim' but could have done without the new versions of 'when my train pulls in' and numb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm on third listen and it's really grown on me a lot.

some observations.

Gary's phrasing, vibrato and taste are first rate and only getting better.

this one focusses more on his soul/rnb style than the previous album. Despite this, there are killer blues and fuzzed out rock workouts aplenty.

his rhythm section are groove monsters that really lock in and never overplay.

King Zapata, his second guitarist, is an absolute beast. Plays a great support role, never steps on the main guitar, but drops really tasty lead licks when required.

a great lesson on how to play as a unit!

i love it.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I really love Gary, but DBII is still the king of fuzzy Texas bluesrock
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I'm a big fan of GKJnr too. It's basic stuff but his fuzztones are awesome as is his singing. When he appeared on Later a while ago he damn near blew the studio doors off.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    @equalsql Can you recommend me some good DMII? I only have his latest one, and found it a bit bland. I've heard he has some really great stuff, and I'd love to check it out. Loved his playing with Roger Waters.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Hi @mburekenge , if you mean DBII, then you should check out the live Arc Angels album: Living in a Dream. Some great playing on that with Charlie Sexton. Also his 3rd album: Welcome is a belter.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    Sweet. Will check it out. Thanks.
    @equalsql Can you recommend me some good DMII? I only have his latest one, and found it a bit bland. I've heard he has some really great stuff, and I'd love to check it out. Loved his playing with Roger Waters.
    Doyle's a great player even if his songwriting is a bit mediocre at times (though Welcome and Jellycream are simply great albums), he's at his best (imo) when taking on chief guitar duties for Roger Waters or Clapton.

Also, legend has it he was banned from TGP (I can't remember where I read that, possibly in some old forum thread about the marshall super bass).

But I don't mean to dismiss GCJr, who kicks ass. 

@bbill335 thanks, will check those out. I'll also have another look at the Clapton stuff. TBH when I see Claptons band, my attention immediately goes straight to Derek Trucks. I consider slide to be some sort of voodoo, and his playing seems to come from another dimension.
    I think of all the EC stuff, Derek Trucks is only on a few bits but Doyle's been on most stuff EC's put out in the last ~20 years.
    ahhh cool. I mean the live bits. I've pretty much swerved EC's material since 'From the Cradle' which I love. Have I missed anything great?  I haven't heard much, but find Massive fan of EC. I tend to find Simon Climie's production a bit unappealingly bland tbh.
    The Robert Johnson tribute stuff is great, some of the best stuff he's ever done... provided you are on board with the core concept. It's also studio-live, so it has a similar feel to a lot of the best EC moments. 
    Cheers, will check that out for sure. :)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ahhh cool. I mean the live bits. I've pretty much swerved EC's material since 'From the Cradle' which I love. Have I missed anything great?  I haven't heard much, but find Massive fan of EC. I tend to find Simon Climie's production a bit unappealingly bland tbh.
    The live album with Stevie Winwood has some cracking playing on it, Clapton always performs best in my opinion when collaborating rather than with hired sidemen. 
    Back on topic.. I've been listening to this album a lot, and It's really great. The versions of Numb and Hear My train A Comin are different enough from the first album to warrant inclusion, and the more souly side of his playing is great. What a voice as well. Damn, Wish I could sing at all, let alone like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    It is great to have a live album with songs from The Story of Sonny Boy Slim.
    Back on topic.. I've been listening to this album a lot, and It's really great. The versions of Numb and Hear My train A Comin are different enough from the first album to warrant inclusion, and the more souly side of his playing is great. What a voice as well. Damn, Wish I could sing at all, let alone like that.
    Good call on those two though. Super versions of those songs! The Healing is awesome on there too.
    quarky said:
    It is great to have a live album with songs from The Story of Sonny Boy Slim.
    Good call on those two though. Super versions of those songs! The Healing is awesome on there too.
    Agreed! The healing is amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 776
    I got the sonny boy album this weekend because of this thread and I'm really enjoying it. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I love this...